Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: My Garage!

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I got a 16"... chainsaw. I took it apart and easily spotted the problem. The plastic drive gear is completely stripped. Seems to me like a terrible design flaw to use a plastic part in a place that will get hot.
    Could be a "feature." Newer Kitchenaid mixers have a single plastic drive gear in them that'll strip out and disintegrate, and the company views it as a sacrificial part to prevent 'real' damage to the motor and rest of the drivetrain.
    -Formerly Stabulator

As long as the gear is replaceable and available, seems dumb but fair. If the gear is not replaceable or not available... well, then.. , caveat emptor? I don't know.

Yeah, I think its a pretty cheap and easy replacement on the mixers. Apparently, its the most common single reason that kitchenaids get disposed of, so you can pick em up on craigslist for next to nothing, fix them, and resell at a profit.
    -Formerly Stabulator

The chain saw is less than two years old, but the manufacturer has stopped producing the part that I need. Luckily, I found one still available from Sears.

I was forced to dispose of the wood I was cutting. There were some kind of boring insects in the wood. I feared it was termites.

We're still working on taking care of our rat problem. The crawl space was smelling pretty bad and stinking up the house. I went into the crawl space today to have a look around. It was pretty filthy with feces. Obviously, there has been a critter problem at this property for years. I am angry that the previous owners did not reveal this information before we purchased the home. Jerks. I found the dead rat that was the source of the stink. Looks like it died a few days ago. The rat got caught in one of the traps, and dragged it for about five metres before it died. Gag-worthy. We're going to need to replace the insulation sometime in the near future because of the extensive critter damage.

We talked about installing an AC/heat pump in the garage, since I will be working in there. It was not obvious if the garage was insulated. I cut a hole in the fake wood paneling to check. Great news, it's insulated! Lori asked, "What about the ceiling?" It does not make sense to me that someone would insulate the walls and not the ceiling. The garage doors, however, are not insulated. We'll have to get some foam-core-like stuff to stick to the inside. I haven't researched it yet. I have no doubt someone here can make a suggestion. I also would like to get some film to go on the windows to reduce the heat from the sun shining in the windows. It's nice to have light, but not heat.

I was checking out the LED shop lights at the hardware store.

More to come...

Regarding the rats, I'd spread poison around liberally if you don't have pets that can get to the poisoned areas. I can't remember what it's called, but they make some which basically desicates the pest and turns it into a little mummy - then the bodies don't smell.
    You are correct that it doesn't make sense to insulate walls but not ceiling. That doesn't mean anything though - I'd check it out if I were you.
    As far as insulation for the doors - they do make foamcore-type stuff for that purpose. Before you go buy anything though, I would check out the specs on the garage door openers and the doors themselves. Make sure that the openers aren't at the edge of their weight lifting capacity as is before you go gluing any extra deadweight to them.
    -Formerly Stabulator

There is poison spread around liberally. Clearly, we can see how that is working.

Time to hire a Rat Hunter.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Or get a cat?

We didn't have "rat problem" but they were in the yard, the garage, and we saw them scurrying on telephone wires. Big fat cat fixed that, and he was a delightful companion. Best cat I ever knew. Sad my roommate kept him when she moved away.

There are two entrances to the crawl space. There are several rat traps set near both entrances. One of the traps was missing from one entrance. I looked in the other entrance and I could see what looked like a rat dragging the missing trap that it was caught in. I did not have my glasses on and I could only see the silhouette. It was near where I found the other dead rat.

I put reflective film over the garage windows today to minimize heating from the sun.

We want to get caught up on debt a bit before we start making the garage a shop.