Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: My Garage!

Improvise, adapt & overcome!

The free table has oil or something soaked into the top of it. The was a piece of 60 year old linoleum nailed to the top of it. Linoleum was left in the curb where I got the table. Removed nails. Attempted to sand the top of it, but it just clogged up the sandpaper.

Did a lot of planing in the bench lumber. I glued up two sets of six boards so far. Once I have three, I will plane the surfaces again for gluing. Then I will have one giant slab 8' x ~28" x 6". It will weigh several hundred pounds. Final exact width is yet to be determined. I may add another couple of boards.

Can you just get a sheet of ply and screw/nail/construction adhesive it to the new table? I've bought birch (IIRC) ply for a few garage surfaces and been happy with it - it's reasonably durable, extremely smooth, and not overwhelmingly expensive. It allowed me to use or salvage some things that otherwise would have been difficult.

Here

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqwvoBt9ZBp2gfA2zQGErOWtPPZWrw

I used it on top of an old metal dresser (I think that's what it was intended to be) because the surface was so thin the monitor arm wobbled around. Worked great, now the monitor arm is rock-solid and the working surface is great.

Yeah, probably. I do not believe it is necessary at this time. I have some nice maple plywood already, but I wanted to use it for another project. There was a broken plywood shelf under the table that I want to replace at some point. I would use the plywood I have now, but my biggest piece is not quite big enough. A couple more 2x4s would probably do. Lots of things I want to do, but not enough resources.

Six 2x6es glued together weighs ~75 lbs. So the table will probably weigh ~300 lbs once it is together.
    Last edited by Cam; June 19th, 2017 at 10:40 AM.

Just the one router bit on the left cost almost double the boxed set. The one bit to rule them all!

IMG_0097x.jpg

My Garage update:

Finished gluing up three sets of 2x6es. I'm considering putting two strips of walnut between my three glued up sets, basically making two darker racing stripes down the bench top. I think that would look pretty sweet. The problem is, I do not have size-matching pieces of wood. I certainly have enough walnut. Alas, I would have to plane multiple pieces by hand (I do not have a thickness planer) to make all the lumber the same dimension. Then I would have to mate pieces to fill the gaps. It would be a ton of extra work, but doable. A shitload of extra work simply for a superficial addition? What y'all think?

Now that we got some router bits, we can use the router we bought a few weeks ago. The expensive (1-3/4") bit will be used to flatten the work bench top once the glue-up is complete. I can then use it later if I want to flatten large slabs.

I half-assed fixed the fell-apart table. I turfed the old top and simply used a piece of maple plywood I had lying around for the new top. Now it's the mitre saw table.

I added a piece of 2x4 to the base of the oil table to make the legs sturdier. I have another piece of maple plywood that I could just lay on top of it for a clean work surface, but the plywood is not quite the right size. The table is about 3x5 and the plywood is 4x4. I will put a new surface on it eventually.

The walnut bar stool is on hold for now. I would like to get my work bench built before putting the finishing touches on it. My joints really sucked at first, but it is turning out pretty nice.

There is still a lot of clutter in the garage right now; bikes, canoe, wheel barrow, and other assorted brick-a-brack that I would like to go somewhere else.

We have to put a moratorium on buying stuff for a little while though. The credit card has smoke coming off it.

I wish I had more light, but that can wait.
    Last edited by Cam; July 17th, 2018 at 02:41 AM.

I imagine you are going to keep that table for 20+ years. I think a few extra hours making it look A+ would be warranted.

I do bullshit superficial stuff that only I know the difference on all the time so.....ask someone else?

Racing stripes are not bullshit!!! He'll get at least +15hp to his workbench!!!

I'm sold. Racing stripes it is!