Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Garage!

My Garage!

The house we bought has a ~700 square foot garage with a high ceiling. Pics will come soon. As I already mentioned in the tools thread, I plan on populating it with woodworking tools and pretty much making it a woodworking shop. However, first we have to actually close the deal, then move in before I start making it into something. It will slowly come together. Watch this space!
    Last edited by Cam; July 17th, 2018 at 02:38 AM.

Once other things are sorted I look forward to my first purchase of a Cam-tastic wooden thingamabob
    Get that weak shit off my track

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Congrats and enjoy!
    acket.

Begs the question - what type of stuff you like working on? Purely artistic things, practical things, small things, large things? I mean, now that you're going to be working on them in YOUR BRAND NEW GARAGE, what can we expect?

Practical things first, like a work bench or two, maybe book shelves. Any home upgrades that need doing. For example, there is a bar in the new place with a formica top. I would like to see a nice wood top on there. Once the shop is set up, I plan on doing artsy stuff, small and large, as well as making picture frames for any 2D stuff.

Very cool - we too have a bar in our house, but our surface isn't formica it's a sweet, sweet '70s stone arrangement! We've been discussing doing something in wood to replace it, but then the conversation spirals out of control to refurb'ing the whole thing - it's finished with - not being sarcastic - awesome '70s wood panels... and I kind of like it... but a rustic-y surface would clash with Nixon-era swank. Still working on it!

Also going to do some shelves - we have a pseudo laundry room with some shallow shelves opposite the washer and dryer. The layout of the shelves is a mystery - like they were made for very specific things the POs had, but we can't figure out what they might have been. So the whole thing is poor organizationally and a poor use of space. I'm going to take them out and do something in natural wood... final decision point is whether I too make something custom for us, or try to work in some adjustability. I'm thinking about drilling out holes and using big, beefy dowels to hold shelves - it just might be too country for me. I'm just torn on the aesthetic compromise that comes with adjustability.

Very cool, Cam!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

I was always one of those car guys that DIDN'T get angry when they saw a garage or shop converted into a full-on woodworker's dream. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Nice. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Going to get a better electrical service installed in there, or is it already set up electrically for a shop of some stripe?

Amazon has great deals on LED lighting, btw. I'm a major convert to LED now that we've got it installed in pretty much all of the boiler/chiller/mechanical spaces where I work.