Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drones/UAVs

Drones/UAVs

Bought a Mavic. Now what?

Profit?!

@ spimp.

Make vids like this:

Was just reading about drone law the other day:

Federal judge tosses suit against property owner who shot down hovering drone

A federal judge in Louisville has dismissed a suit seeking damages against a property owner who shot down a hobbyist’s drone in 2015.

Senior U.S. District Judge Thomas Russell dismissed the suit against self-described “drone slayer” William Merideth, citing a lack of federal subject matter jurisdiction, Ars Technica reports.

The suit by hobbyist John David Boggs had sought a declaratory judgment that a drone is an “aircraft” under federal law, that Boggs’ drone was operating in U.S. airspace, and that property owners can’t shoot at drones in this airspace. The suit also sought $1,500 in damages.

Russell wrote in a March 21 opinion that the suit was essentially a garden-variety state tort claim that should not be in federal court. Although the Federal Aviation Administration has an interest in enforcing regulations governing federal airspace, “its interest in applying those regulations in the context of a state tort law claim for trespass to chattels is limited or nonexistent,” Russell said. At most, the FAA regulations are ancillary issues in the case, he concluded.
    So, not on the grounds that it's okay to shoot trespassing drones, just that the FAA has no reach when it comes to this kind of claim.

It's kind of ballsy to claim your toy is an aircraft when things go sour for you. I imagine/hope aircraft that enjoy protection by the FAA also have some restrictions on them that preclude them from flying around in people's backyards.

Lori had to register her camera drone with the FAA. It is an aircraft and it's certainly not a toy. It is prohibited from flying within five miles of an airport or over no-fly zones, like military bases.

I like to think I am a considerate person who would not intentionally fly it too close to people's homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    @ spimp.

Make vids like this:

Yeah. I do have a fair amount of travelling (by my standards) until July or so.

Do I need to buy Premier CC, or is there a suitable alternative? I use Windows.

Premiere would be good. Windows Movie Maker just cannot handle high-res video.

I really want one. But I wanted way too many things in 2016, so it will wait.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Was just reading about drone law the other day:

Federal judge tosses suit against property owner who shot down hovering drone

So, not on the grounds that it's okay to shoot trespassing drones, just that the FAA has no reach when it comes to this kind of claim.

It's kind of ballsy to claim your toy is an aircraft when things go sour for you. I imagine/hope aircraft that enjoy protection by the FAA also have some restrictions on them that preclude them from flying around in people's backyards.
    Fuckin hell man.

If a case like that is successful then it just makes life harder for him and anyone else who wants to fly. What a way to attempt to shoot himself in the foot.

It's no wonder there are increasing laws against drone flyers. Dumb cunts just can't stop being dumb cunts.

Well, yesterday was a public holiday and I just about managed to find enough update the firmware. That's it.