Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Recommendations

Female Masturbatory Aid

Camera Recommendations

I think it's about time I grew up and got a proper camera.

What I need:

Good optical zoom/high resolution ((20-24mp) + need to zoom in to tower tops (could be 100' to 300') to get pictures of antennas/etc, so 20-24x optical
    Decent storage space (32gb-64gb)
    Something under $600

What I don't need:
    Professional quality, 2000 mile zoom lenses, mortgage payment.

Please discuss

These days, you do not need much more than you phone. There are extentions you can buy that will increase your zoom. I have never tried them though.

You could buy a superzoom 20mp camera. However, the sensor will be small so the pictures will be noisy in low light.

I agree with what YW said, but full disclosure I just like that segment anyway. Very robust, not very artistic, not low-light friendly.

There are a lot of options out there. I have been using various Sony ones for a while (current one, 30x, similar 20x and 10x models for less money).

When you have an idea of what specs you want, but not what camera, a good tool to use is DPReview's camera search.
    Get that weak shit off my track

If he wants new, there's not much else on the market which suits his criteria for USD600. If he is fine with used and wants larger pics, I guess he could get a cheap used Rebel and a used Sigma 150-600mm.

So you're saying you don't want a Leica?

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Camera won't really work. The zoom is shit for tower top shit, and I'm not fucking climbing it.

I'm not looking for something to read serial numbers on the antennas 400' up, but just something with decent detail at that zoom level.

Let's say, something I could zoom in to a level akin to legibly reading/making out a cereal box at a football field.

Or is that too much$?

...and, before any of you camera gurus start spouting off nonsense stats like whatever.7.fistyourself, I know less than half of fuckall about cameras.

I'm amused the Keith only linked to Sony in the superzoom category

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/201...-zoom-compacts

Go here, find a camera you like, it'll probably work. Unless you're doing this at night, and then you probably want an entry level DSLR with a cheapo 300mm zoom.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    No night stuff. Well, at least work related

Comparing a Canon Power Shot SX60 HS (60x zoom) with a Nikon CoolPix P900 (80+ zoom).

Couple questions:

ISO refers to fast/motion capability, correct? Say you're trying to photo cars that are racing, you'd want a high ISO, no? Along that line, what is "Boosted" ISO"? The Nikon lists "12800" in that category, whereas the Cannon does not.

I could use some education on "aperture". I think I know what it is, but I will just let someone explain it to me, because I'm probably wrong... I'm also assuming that a wider/higher range in this are is better? (eg, a higher aperture allows low light pictures (or at least, better?)

Others:

Shutter speed (this is like the aperture above)?

I also see that out of all the ones on the page Jason listed, only the Nikon has built-in GPS, that's a potential biggie as well.

This is all foreign to me. I know movie quotes and dick jokes, not cameras.
    Last edited by drew; April 22nd, 2017 at 03:29 AM.

ISO, aperture and shutter speed are relics of traditional cameras that use film. ISO refers to the film's sensitivity to light. A higher number means it is more sensitive. Aperture refers to the size of the opening that the light comes through before hitting the film. A higher number means a smaller opening. Aperture can give you less or more depth of field, creating or diminishing the amount of focus (blur) in foreground or background objects. A lower number means you will get more blur, higher = less. Shutter speed is self-explanatory. It is the amount of time the film is exposed to light.