Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Civic Type R (US)

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    The new Type R is bringing a vagina to a dick swinging contest.
    That's how Honda's been doing things for a good decade now. When I bought my Mazdaspeed3, the Civic Si was bringing a knife to a turbocharged gunfight.

True, true. I completely forgot about that last generation!

Upside: Really interested to see what Honda's "sporty" turbo looks like vs, say, the RDX.

Funny side: Advertising "turbo VTEC" like catching up with 2010 nets a trophy.

[QUOTE=thesameguy;101342The new Type R is bringing a vagina to a dick swinging contest.[/QUOTE]

You have to have somewhere to store them.

How much is a Focus RS compared to the Type R expected sticker price? And how does that compare to a V8 Pony car? (I know, hot hatch isn't a direct competitor but performance wise it could be) and then, say, a BMW 135i or 140i? Is the Civic going to be a performance bargain of sorts?

Base RS is $37k, and you can option it up to about $43k depending on your wheel/tire choices, etc.
    Whoomah!

The Type R price hasn't been set, but they're suggesting $37k base MSRP, so very close to an RS or Impreza STI or Golf R. About the same as a Mustang GT Premium, about the same as a Camaro V8. The 300hp FWD Type R is playing with a 350hp AWD Focus and 400+hp RWD pony cars. It's about $7k more than a BRZ or Focus ST, and in that arena it'd be competitive, maybe a little ahead of the game. It's an insane price, IMHO, given the competition in its predicted price range. Honda doing crazy shit again.

It'll be a problem for people that shop by horsepower number.

The autocrossers will wait to see if a real limited slip diff makes a difference and will want to see how much camber it gets and how wide the front wheels are.

The Honda fanbois will buy it no matter what.

Given the FoRS's issues with overheating the rear power unit, I'm not sure it counts as an AWD car yet.
    Whoomah!

LSD equipped turbo Honda takes me back to 1996 and Sport Compact Car.

I miss Sport Compact Car.

I intended that comment disparagingly, but I do too. SCC's tone was the reason I got he courage to pick up a wrench. I always enjoyed it.