Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small used car shopping

If you are really doing 10-100 miles a week at less than 40+ mph a 500e charged once a week might work out. We could get about 109 miles of sub-40mph driving in ideal spring weather. In the winter with the heater on knock off about 40% (though using the seat heaters is a great alternative) and in the summer with the AC on knock off about 15%. The 500e will do 40a charging, so you can fully charge one in four hours with a regular Level II charger. Note that's 24 hours with a 120v/15a Level I.

Although inexpensive operation and maintenance is a big plus, you're probably talking $12k for a nice used '13 500e vs. $5k for a nice used 500. $7k buys a lot of gas.

Do expect typical Italian/Chrysler quality control. Don't expect $0 in maintenance. My bet is that mile for mile, it's still cheaper than a Smart.

Have you considered something truly wretched like a Mirage?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6156744833.html

or iQ

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/6133918912.html

I think I'd still lean towards the Fiat - it's probably safer and probably more fun to drive. Maybe not more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Bicycle?
    Bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    YW, have stuff to carry on a weekly basis (a bicycle would not have taken additional time for most of the trips and would have been healthier)
    LOTS of stuff? Or just "stuff"?

I mean, if it's a ton of folders, yeah, i can understand that. But if you live in a flat area and you need to carry "stuff", it'll be fine.

Junior Potato
    Did you guys get the Ford Fiesta circa-2007-2008, specifically the XR4 model?

It's cool and a little bit chavalicious. If they're available I'd recommend either the blue or the red with the cobra stripes over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Did you guys get the Ford Fiesta circa-2007-2008, specifically the XR4 model?

It's cool and a little bit chavalicious. If they're available I'd recommend either the blue or the red with the cobra stripes over the top.
    We got the latest Fiesta starting in 2010 as a MY2011 car.
    Whoomah!

Junior Potato
    So you missed out on the earlier one? That's a bummer. They've got great rally car styling.

YW, I could doconomics it and bring a little each weekday but it's not an option on the weekend (intend for it to be an only car), plus I carpool 3-4x a week (that's optional)

tsg, Mirage? Didn't even know they still existed here. I found only one for sale, looks inoffensive
    I've looked into the iQ, but never was able to find an example that was worth it
    Juicing up an EV outside a Tesla Supercharger is not an option; no charging at home or work

No 2nd gen Honda Fit input?
    Leaning towards the Fiat more and more; 'Holy depreciation' indeed, plus the owners seem to have taken care of them better than the Fits here (though I guess the Fit doesn't need nearly as much care)
    How does the US version of the Fiat 500 weigh 400lbs more than the European one? Do we have 500ci engines?
    Last edited by balki; June 5th, 2017 at 07:28 PM.

Around here the issue is finding a used Fit without a salvage title. Other than that, great little cars, imo.
    Whoomah!

Yeah, the Fit/Jazz isn't a bad car for those purposes. Either that or used Corolla.