Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small used car shopping

A decent Fit around here will cost a few grand more than the 500 - I'm betting that's generally true. I'd bet that Fit will probably have higher mileage, and the Fiat will probably have been treated better. Obviously if you need more space you gotta get a Fit, but if you can fit your situation into the Fiat why spend the extra?

Good to know the Fiat are getting dumb cheap

tsg, forgot to touch on what shocked me most: -15% efficiency for A/C use in the 500e sounds about right (was expecting -10%) but the heater is shocking! -40% is obscene.
    Regardless, gas is a little cheaper here and electricity is 3x as much so the premium for the 500e (not as expensive here; sub $8k for sub 40k mile 500e) is not worth it even if charging was available.

Fits are a couple grand more for more mileage if I limit it to 2012-2013, but there occasionally is an earlier 2nd gen for $3-4k which is on par with a +100k mile Fiat. Then there's a 11k mile Fit for $7k, not sure if I'm missing something

YW, the Toyota Corolla is quite a bit more expensive than the Fit and has less interior space while being a foot longer, it's a big no-go. The only reason I'm seriously looking into the Fit is because I can justify the larger footprint vs the Fiat/Smart with the additional practicality of the SUV sized cargo (and what I'm assuming is better reliability and low-cost maintenance).

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    tsg, forgot to touch on what shocked me most: -15% efficiency for A/C use in the 500e sounds about right (was expecting -10%) but the heater is shocking! -40% is obscene.
    Regardless, gas is a little cheaper here and electricity is 3x as much so the premium for the 500e (not as expensive here; sub $8k for sub 40k mile 500e) is not worth it even if charging was available.
    ICE cars make heat as a byproduct, so it's free. The only way you make heat in an electric car is with a filament and that takes a lot of current. That combined with inefficiencies inherent in cold batteries, and you take a big hit. We pretty much never used the heat. Seat heaters more or less eliminate that loss and always worked fine to keep us warm, even went it was literally freezing out.

Forgot about the cold battery inefficiencies (then again heat kills batteries as well)
    I did think that there was a decent amount of heat produced by EVs, do they not need active cooling of some sort?

They do have active cooling, but it's not nearly enough to make 200 degree heat come out of a vent.

I feel like I should know the answer to this (carlo?), but...
    what about the mini?

If it's a commuter car, you really can't go wrong with a Honda Fit, imo. They are incredibly practical, and afaik are rock solid.

The Fit is the only car I'd consider buying new, but the resale value hurts it when looking for a used example.
    For $4-5k I get a 10 year old Fit with well over 100k miles, I can nearly halve this last two #s with a Fiat. The Fiat is also two feet shorter, nearly doubling the amount of parking spots i can fit in (4x with the Smart)
    Still, the Fit is very much on my radar

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I'd say Ignis but I think you guys hate freedom.
    acket.