Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet memotivationally epic wins

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

Current Costco president and CEO once grumbled that they were losing money with their $1.50 hot dog and soda special. (they haven't raised the price since it was introduced in 1984)

Costco co-founder and former CEO Jim Sinegal "If you raise [the price of] the effing hot dog, I will kill you... Figure it out."

That's some good capitalism

Are they still the same price?

A long time ago, I used to work across the street from a Costco. One of those large hot dogs and a Diet Coke came to $1.62 with tax, if I remember correctly, and the hotdogs were big enough to fill me up for the remaining afternoon at work.

They had two ways to step inside. In one direction was the members' entrance to go shopping where they checked membership cards. In the other was a counter where they sold memberships. I'd step over to the membership desk where there were always customers in line. I guess that was good training for the incredibly long checkout lines inside Costco stores. Then I'd casually take a few more steps to the food area in front of the cash registers. I only did this three or four times in probably as many years, but I always felt like I was stickin' it to the man when I did.

And yes, I'm quite sure they knew this went on and didn't care. Good for them.

If you're losing money on a hotdog and soda at $1.50, you're doing something wrong. What can that cost a company like Coscto? $0.25?

It's a 1/4 pound hot dog and Pepsi.
    The soda itself is probably close to 25¢ (there's free refills).

I do think they're losing money on them if you include storage, prep, sales, condiments, ….

Their rotisserie (I'd never get this right without spell-check) chicken's are $4.99 which I'm sure their losing money on: the local supermarket has them for $7.99 and they're half the size.

Not even sure you can buy an uncooked whole chicken for $5 let alone one that is as deliciously prepared...

The problem for me is that I’ve eaten so many of them I’m not sure if I want anymore...

It's chickens. Not chicken's.

That makes me think of the Chick-Fil-A vs. Popeyes sandwich wars, for some reason.

Maybe that's because there's no apostrophe in Popeyes.

Don't get me started on Bojangles'.

Last edited by George; September 25th, 2020 at 09:45 AM.