Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioware's Anthem

Junior Potato
    But you can watch it in the background while you’re sitting there not playing it

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Jim Sterling is a professional video game journalist who used to write for Destructoid and Escapist. Now he is independent, but doesn’t make much money off YouTube, so clicks are irrelevant to him. His income is mostly from Patreon.

That said, the video I refer to is not a review. Blerpa posted the closest thing to a review that Sterling does these days on the previous page. The one I’m talking about is a deeper look that examines the environment surrounding Anthem, as well as the game itself. It came out a few hours ago. You should watch it.
    Yeah, I watched the new video too, RWA. Pure carnage.

Now he is independent, but doesn’t make much money off YouTube, so clicks are irrelevant to him. His income is mostly from Patreon.
    Hmmm. That's an interesting way to think about that, and I don't think it's accurate, but I just think, in general, that if you're trying to make your income from people that like your opinions, you can end up, consciously or subconsciously, having and sharing that opinion more often. I don't think that any particular method of receiving that income, whether it's appealing to the masses with ad clicks or to a small dedicated group with a subscription service, makes you immune to it.

This is not an accusation towards Jim Sterling or anyone else, just an opinion on the greater discussion of ad revenue vs subscription revenue.

Clarifying here since I can't edit from mobile: you may end up having and sharing the same type/style of opinion that has made you popular and gathered you income more often. This is opposed to, if you did not receive income and supportive feedback, perhaps digging deeper and questioning yourself/others about your reactions and beliefs.

But you can watch it in the background while you’re sitting there not playing it
    Nah, lots of other stuff I'd rather watch. I haven't watched all the Short Treks. There's also a hilarious anime called Backstreet Girls: Gokudolls.

Hopefully this will fix the loot complaints:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa...m_loot_update/

Biggest thing for me, is the change to inscriptions. Will be nice not having irrelevant bonuses

Thanks Anthem!

Junior Potato
    Is it just me, or are live service looter-shooters a completely broken and hopeless genre?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...icially-ceased

Sad, but predictable. Like I keep saying, EA drains the magic out of everything it touches.

Destiny 2 is doing just fine, and The Division 2 just got extended for more content than what was planned. Just like any genre, there are successes and failures.
    Get that weak shit off my track