Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioware's Anthem

Okay, you're right.

Graphically games have now reached a point where the only real improvements are to be made in Framerate and resolution. To me, games are now at a point where the same game could easily be playable for 5 or 6 years without issue, if Developers are willing to support it, knowing that they won't be able to get a large influx of cash on release day. They could pull a Destiny, which, from what I remember, they announced a big update but the only way to get it was to essentially 're-purchase' the full game. People bitched but bought it anyway.
    Alternatively the expansions are only buyable individually and there's no 'Season pass'. If the content is there I'd be happy to pay £20-£30 each year for a content expansion which is similar in size and content to the original game itself, ideally 50-70% of the content yearly.

There's more for a game engine to add than just prettier graphics, though, like switching from a loading model to a streaming model, more/better physics, etc. That's stuff that's hard to patch in to a current game, I'd think, and makes a sequel a viable upgrade.
    Get that weak shit off my track

BioWare’s Anthem: Developer Details The Game’s Story, “Very Much Like Star Wars And Marvel”

Quote Originally Posted by GamingBolt.com
    Recently in an interview with CBC Radio, BioWare general manager Aaryn Flynn spoke about the game’s story and setting, likening it to Star Wars and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, saying that while Mass Effect was a more grounded science fiction story, Anthem is more of “science-fantasy”.

“The story is that you are part of humanity, and you’re a member of a group called the “Freelancers”, who are out there to protect and save humanity on an alien planet far away,” Flynn said. “It’s in a genre we call “science-fantasy”, it’s very much like Star Wars, very much like the Marvel universe where you see a lot of amazing things happening but we don’t worry too much about why they’re happening or how they’re happening, the science of it."

"Mass Effect is more of a real hardcore science-fiction IP, this one is much more about just having fun in a game world that is lush and exotic and really sucks you in.”
    So maybe there's gonna be Force powers integrated into this? Are there going to be "Good" and "Evil" aspects that BioWare is known for? #spacemagic
    Last edited by novicius; June 26th, 2017 at 07:24 AM.

Mass Effect And KOTOR's Drew Karpyshyn Is Writing BioWare's 'Anthem'

Quote Originally Posted by Forbes.com
    However it's been confirmed that beloved Mass Effect 1+2 and KOTOR writer Drew Karpyshyn is working on Anthem, which may put a lot of minds at ease.

Karpyshyn was the lead writer on some of BioWare's best-written games, and many blamed the studio's recent declines in that area on his departure in 2012. He returned to BioWare to work on SW:TOR content after that in 2015 but he's confirmed that he's now working on Anthem.
    Now has he been working on the story since 2015ish... or is he a script doctor trying to punch up a clichéd gaming plot?
    Last edited by novicius; June 26th, 2017 at 07:36 AM.

"What are the two biggest media franchises for 18-49 males right now?"
    "Star Wars and Marvel."
    "Tell them we're like that."

But seriously, the gameplay trailer/demo did seem Rogue One like in its initial setting, followed by Iron Man Bros gameplay, so that makes sense. Here's hoping they pull it off.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yep -- maybe mentioning Avatar in the same breath might give too much away. #goingnative

As long as there's some actual plot and stories to the core missions, and not just filler 'beat these foes, collect this item' missions, I'll be pretty happy

Oh yeah, definitely -- if BioWare launches Anthem with a Vanilla Destiny-level of empty blandness and RNG-fueled rewards, the offices will get stormed and devs will be lynched (via the comments sections everywhere ).

ME:A is buggy AF; I sure hope the Anthem devs listen to their QA teams this time around. I bet 2018 is coming all too soon for those guys...