Thread: Guns Control

Junior Potato

Guns Control

I'm talking about real guns. The ones that hang off your shoulders which you use to hug your loved ones and defeat your enemies.

So does anyone here practise any martial arts?

My grandpa supposedly practiced it..., supposedly he could also hop onto roof tops without needing a ladder.

Of course I've never actually witnessed any of that. I quite enjoyed him bare his arms to hug and carry me when I was a toddler.

I have a green belt (level 3 of 5) in the Marine Corps Martial Arts program.

So, to answer your question....no.

Junior Potato
    I got into it almost three years ago. A couple of close friends of mine were doing a thing called Arakan Martial Art and convinced me to join.

A bloke local to me by the name of Robert Kyaw happens to be the highest-trained in Australia for Arakan, which he learned while growing up in Burma, so he started training people for income after immigrating here about 20 years ago. Now it's wildly successful and it's being expanded to Auckland and LA, with a few instructors being offered the chance to start branches of it in these new locations. Since he's so close to us, all of the students get the opportunity to partake in lessons held by him, which is quite amazing.

I haven't graded yet because the standards are pretty high. Yellow belt is very intense (and costs a lot of $$$ to do the lessons) so it'll be a while before I'm ready for it. So you could say that I'm very inexperienced at it, but I can safely state that all the mumbo-jumbo about martial arts being very self-centering and honest... is 100% true! Over the last three years I'm absolutely certain that martial arts has helped me improve myself, not just in health and strength and confidence but also in being realistic and honest about myself.

It's good. I love it.

Administrator
    When I was a kid I started taking Tae Kwon Do. Did it for a month or so, and enjoyed it, but then sensei skipped town when his ex-wife found him and demanded his delinquent alimony payments. So much for that.

I always wanted to take some form of martial arts... But, never did.

I'd be in it for the mental, centering (as you mentioned) as much as the physical conditioning.

Took five years of Goju-Ryu Karate while in college.

Enjoyable. Conflicting. Glad I did it, also glad that I've never had to really use it in any sort of knockdown/drag out.

Also in my experience you need to workout to practice. Physical fitness will not come with the training, you need to dig deep and bust ass around your lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    When I was a kid I started taking Tae Kwon Do. Did it for a month or so, and enjoyed it, but then sensei skipped town when his ex-wife found him and demanded his delinquent alimony payments. So much for that.
    This sounds so on-brand for Tae Kwon Do instructors, its nearly the trailer for Foot Fist Way
    -Formerly Stabulator

Ten years of karate from when I was about 8 to 18. Never been in a fight.

When I flex I tell myself "Every gun show needs derringers."