Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Autonomous Vehicles (new job ?)

For all we know right now she stepped right out in front of it, and no human would have even been able to save here.

I've seen some reports she was not in a crosswalk, but also that it happened at an intersection, so who knows what happened until officials release more info.

Keith says NBD, so carry on...

The loss of an innocent life is a big deal.

Except to the people who see the potential to make billions of dollars. Uber and their partners will figure out what they can say caused the accident, "fix" it, they and their competitors will point to the accident and fatality rates of human drivers, and the autonomous market will continue on its path.

Everyone had to know this was going to happen eventually, and they accepted it as part of being in this business.
    Get that weak shit off my track

It's also a part of increasing safety. A good example I read last week was that at the beginning air bags were set to inflate too quickly and that did cause some deaths. As a result of that we didn't chuck airbags out, we changed the rate in which they inflated, and the net results was tens of thousands of lives same. Interestingly the article itself was about what would happen the first time an autonomous car killed someone and the importance that we didn't abandon the approach but instead learnt from it and used that to make the systems safer.

Yes, but I presume Uber doesn't really care about that. They just want to cut out the need to pay drivers and deal with labor-related lawsuits. I do not think highly of Uber, considering their track record.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Uber is the customer, it's Volvo that are making all the systems.

It's amazing how much attention this is getting compared to pedestrian deaths at the hands of people driven vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    It's amazing how much attention this is getting compared to pedestrian deaths at the hands of people driven vehicles
    Thats because people driven vehicles have been killing pedestrians for 100 years whereas this is the first time a computer driven vehicle has managed that

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Yes, but I presume Uber doesn't really care about that. They just want to cut out the need to pay drivers and deal with labor-related lawsuits. I do not think highly of Uber, considering their track record.
    x2
    So much so that they easily overwhelm all the trust/respect I have for Volvo

Pictures from media led me to believe they have Ford Fusion and Chrysler vans in their fleet... so it's not just Volvo, right? Or the pics are just from other developers?

Anyway, I still think Uber's in way over its head. It's like a taxi company all of sudden decide to build their own cars. Why bother? Should focus on their core business first. If you're hugely profitable like google, then perhaps you can try it out...

Further, partnership with Volvo also should've been much lower key... so that when accidents happen, let the media report that it was a Volvo car rather than a uber car!

Anyway, the partnership is definitely good for Volvo because I don't see any media talking about them... they can develope and learn at Uber's expense...