Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Autonomous Vehicles (new job ?)

I think it's clear that their hiring process is questionable when reporters dug up info that the uber driver had a checkered past...

It's also obvious uber/volve/driver are mostly to blame even when the pedestrian j-walked, possibly in the dark...

Still, I'm not sure which video reflected the actual situation better. Original uber video looks way too dark and your youtube video looks way too bright... almost like we can clearly see even without turning on head lights!

Anyway, like I said, regardless of which video is more realistic, uber/volve shares most of the blame. I do hope they figure out and learn something out of this incident rather than just get shut down...

Administrator
    I'm willing to bet you can clearly see without headlights. It's a well-lit urban street. People drive around here without their headlights on all the time.

Like I said, I'm pretty familiar with that area, I have family in the Tempe/Scottsdale area. It's very well lit.

Ok. I'll take your word!

Having finally watched the video I'll say that walking directly into oncoming traffic with your back to the traffic (she was walking on the traffic side of the bicycle she was pushing, causing her back to face the headlights of the Volvo) at night is not a choice I would have made.

I jaywalk every weekday, in traffic around these exact vehicles. You can't assume anyone is going to stop for you under any circumstance. I wouldn't walk that blindly through a crosswalk let alone on a dedicated two+ lane roadway. My presumption is that if that was a human driver and if they weren't drunk or distracted and if they reacted as a reasonable driver would, she would've been struck but likely survived as the panic stop would've lessened the impact.

You only get one life and it's yours to safeguard, leaving it up to someone else to look out for it is foolhardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Keep in mind too that the video looks darker than it really was.
    The accident video and yours are like night and day. The pedestrian seemingly popped out of nowhere while your video is like you said; could drive without headlights.

Administrator
    Waymo's cars average 5,600 miles traveled before a human safety driver has to "intervene". Uber's were struggling to get to 13 miles. CA requires that data like that be reported to regulators, AZ does not. Uber also recently started having their safety drivers go solo rather than in pairs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/t...s-arizona.html

This is exactly what everyone warned about.

13 miles isn't so bad. My Honda Clarity EV is struggling to stay within the lane for 3 miles on the freeway! Thankfully Honda probably didn't spend as much money as uber developing its lane keeping assit...

It's weird, Honda also has lane departure warning..., I wonder why it could not warn itself that it's departing from the lane...

Anyway, suffice to say autonomous driving is not easy...

Anyway2, I wonder how is the (new job)? Any updates?

Uber has already suspended testing indefinitely. Good call Governor!

BTW, is this autonomous feature developed by Uber or Volvo? If anything, it should be a joint partnership, right?

Wonder why most of the blame seems to go to Uber. Volve has no say on whether or not to have 1 or 2 humans watching over their cars? Since the cars were struggling to go 13 miles, why Volvo didn't insist on testing more on private roads 1st?

Or perhaps it wasn't a partnership at all? Volvo just sold them the cars?

I thought it was joint but its all uber. In fact the belief is that uber turned off the standard Volvo stuff which would have prevented this accident so their self driving stuff had clean testing.