Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Autonomous Vehicles (new job ?)

It cost of infrastructure. An extra lane is expensive or takes away from existing lanes.
    Especially while these vehicles are the minority it doesn’t make much sense.

But long term, yeah it could work. Faster and more efficient if they slipstream.

The skills you need to drive a race car at the limit are very different (and on a very different scale) from what th average person uses to drive around daily.

On a track or oval, there’d be minimal challenge in terms of navigating changing terrain, so main challenge is stay on track while avoiding collision with walls and other cars while trying to push to the limit in various weather conditions. I think these skill sets can definitely still benefit future AVs.

As to test AV navigation skills, we’ll have to let them do rally races.

When AVs can do all these races better than professional racers, then I’d say they’re somewhat ready.

On the road, there are way more variables such as bikes, and pedestrians, crazy drunk drivers...

Anyway, my point is do you guys think the latest and greatest google ‘driver’ can win any races?

I kinda doubt it. Plus, even if they could theoretically win with their algorithms, these cars will be in such aero disadvantage to be able to win...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 6th, 2018 at 08:28 AM.

1) You're right, navigating the track would be much easier than navigating complicated and variable routes.

2) Avoiding collisions with other drivers on a race track is incredibly difficult. The percentage of humans that can do this effectively and repeatedly is tiny.

3) Driving a race car at the limit is incredibly difficult. The percentage of humans that can do this effectively and repeatedly is tiny.

4) The skills needed to do 2 and 3, while useful in some circumstances, are, for the most part, completely unnecessary in daily driving.

5) Autonomous driving AI development must be focused on the problems it wants to solve, it's not going to learn things you aren't teaching it, so if you're simply teaching it how to best replicate the actions of a race car driver, it is not going to learn daily driving lessons.

6) Suggesting that an AI *must* learn to be able to beat a tiny segment of humans at a tasks almost entirely unnecessary for the task you actually want it to do is a waste of everyone's time and money. Can they try to do it? Sure. Make it a requirement before they're allowed on the road? That would be more dense than saying that every 16 year old has to be able to win a race against professional drivers before they can get their license.

The AI has an advantage that it should be able to “10/10ths” without straining its brain and making mistakes. Humans find it hard to be repeatable when we are at our limits.
    It should also have faster reactions.

I think it will take a while for the smarts to get there. But once it’s there it will be better because it won’t make human mistakes.

Oh surely we can strain anything... even computers! Further, they could avoid human mistakes, but can they fix computer mistakes? When traveling on a highway, if the computer crashes, we don't have time to stop the car and open the window and then close the window waiting for it to reboot!

Driving is incredibly difficult. A lot of seemingly simple human activities can be incredibly difficult for computers. This is why it takes a lot of computing 'POWER' to power these systems at this stage.

In order for AVs to share roads with human drivers, they have to be able to not only track other cars, but be able to predict how other cars might move. Likewise with bikes and pedestrians.

Knowing how much road space you have... and anticipate whether if other 'things' might get in your way... if so, do you have enough space to swerve to avoid contact? Or perhaps you need to slow down in order to have sufficient stopping distance... and in order to safely do those sudden maneuvers, you NEED to know the dynamic limits of the vehicle under various weather/road conditions.

Best way to learn these things should be on the track, not in Arizona. Maybe after they've mastered these things on track, then we can start testing in Arizona...

Now, if all vehicles are AVs and they communicate with one another, then it should be a lot simpler. However, if AVs have to deal with erratic human drivers, they need to learn how to drive more defensively... and they need to know the physical limits of itself when doing emergency avoidance maneuvers.

AV needs to be much better driver than average humans. It wouldn't hurt to make them championship winning caliber.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 7th, 2018 at 08:11 AM.

They have, and will continue, to test AI for autonomous vehicles on track. They're focusing far more on navigating safely than quicky, though. I don't want the AI learning that it can remain full throttle during a lane change at 150 mph, or that it can outbrake a competitor and force them off line to make a pass. I want it learning defensive driving techniques, how to deal with multiple complex inputs coming at it at the same time (rain/snow, an animal crossing the highway while cars of varying speeds surround you, avoiding the blind spots of a large truck, etc). If it can clip an apex but doesn't know what to do with a jaywalking senior citizen, we're screwed.

True and I agree.

Of course I'm not asking AVs to be driven at the edge of tire adhesion at all times, but it needs to know these varying limits and be able to adapt.. and make sure it operates well within these limits... or in case of some odd events such as spotty icy roads or blown tires... it needs to be able to compensate and stabilize the vehicle safely.

Anyway, I just think it'd be nice if they can eventually create a computer version of the Stig... the same set of algorithm, capable of adjusting itself in different vehicles/conditions rather than depending on programmer's input. I think 'he' would also be a very valuable test driver in racing teams!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 7th, 2018 at 10:06 AM.

That would be great! It would also be, by far, the most advanced AI ever created for anything by anyone.

Odd, something like that already exists...