Page 37 of 66 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Omnibus

Paper?!?!?!?

Actually, I'm looking forward to a new cast member for season 3, a kitty cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Paper?!?!?!?
    Yes, they had a printer at one of the bridge stations (on Spock & Uhura's side, I think) and in either "The Cage" or "Where No Man Has Gone Before". We see it print (or maybe a stagehand fed it through a slot from below) and someone grabs it like you might take your receipt in the self-checkout lane.

I haven't found a video clip of the printer in action yet, but you can see a crewman offering Captain Pike a piece of paper at about 2:15 below.

One of the YouTube commenters said navigator Lt. Kelso looks a little like Trip Tucker. I've never noticed that before, but I agree.

And here's Pike with Dr. Boyce reading paper on a clipboard before Kirk's electronic version, which I guess we'd recognize today as a tablet. Or an Etch-A-Sketch.

Last edited by George; September 22nd, 2020 at 06:49 PM.

Maybe it will be super difficult to become completely paperless...

Even for TNG, Data was still painting on canvases..., I'm sure they could still draw sketches or write on paper if they want...

Anyway, I thought Discovery did a pretty decent job finding the actor to play Capt. Pike. Wardrobe is sufficiently similar to the old shows too, but not so pajama-like as in the past!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Sad I never got to see this in person, but here's some newly found behind the scenes footage:

Season 3 of Disco is good, so far.

My kids and I continue to enjoy Star Trek. They've seen the first JJ Abrams movie three times now and keep asking for more.

I think we're done with the original series. We've seen all the good episodes, most of the mediocre ones, and a couple of the awful ones. No need to continue with crappy third-season shows that don't have things they need to know for the future. If they never know who Zarabeth was, that's okay.

We started Star Trek: The Motion Picture, a sentimental favorite of mine, and have tried to watch it twice but I don't think we've even gotten halfway through before they get bored and start arguing about who gets the couch or decide it's time for an impromptu wrestling match, and so forth. I didn't realize it before, but I think...

Spoiler:
    ...more action happens in the USS Kelvin scene at the beginning of the first JJ Abrams movie than happens in all of ST: TMP.

The Motion Picture takes so long to get going. It's mostly just talk and watching scenery but nothing really going on to interest younger viewers who are used to fast-paced Marvel movies and Rainer Wolfcastle or whatever else all the kids are watching these days.

After giving up on the first movie after two attempts, we watched Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan and they really enjoyed it. That movie is quite a contrast to the first one. My daughter was quite shocked at the ending, as was I when I first saw it. The difference is she won't have to wait a couple years for the next movie to come out to find out what happens next.

The kids enjoyed the Kobiashi Maru stories in both the 2009 ST movie and Wrath Of Khan. And I noticed something I hadn't before in WOT:

Spoiler:
    We've all seen young Kirk take a huge bite of an apple in the captain's chair during his Kobiashi Maru test. I never noticed it before, but Shatner takes a bite of fruit in the Genesis cavern after pulling off a similar "miracle". It's not quite the "look at this!" moment as JJ Abrams made it, but it's there.

Playing at our house this weekend: Either Star Trek III: The Search For Spock or Star Trek: Into Darkness. Hopefully both. I know they'll go nuts for Into Darkness after enjoying the first JJ Abrams movie so much, but I wanted to make sure we had seen The Wrath Of Khan first. With regard to Into Darkness, I continue to think they should have made the villian...

Spoiler:
    ...just some random bad guy, as Nero was in the first movie, rather that using the famous name again when he really wasn't the same as the original guy.

I want to see Into Darkness again mostly to see...

Spoiler:
    ...the opening scene when Kirk and McCoy return to the Enterprise and then we see the Enterprise leave a planet in a way never seen before. That might be my favorite scene of spaceship action in all of Star Trek.

Oh, and if anyone is looking for TOS and TNG Star Trek movies that you don't already own, several are playing for free on Popcorn Flix right now. That's a free channel available with a Roku box. They have commercials, but the movies are free to watch. I think I saw the original movies 1 through 4, plus First Contact, Nemesis, and Generations.

The Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek production ever.

I like the reboot Kirk more than the original Kirk...

TNG TV was the personal favorite for me. I thought they were better than the TNG movies!

However, I have to say the new Discovery beats TNG. I wasn't even going to watch Discovery because I didn't think it'd be worth paying for... however, thanks to Picard, I do believe I'll return when I can return to binge watch them...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; October 26th, 2020 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I like the reboot Kirk more than the original Kirk...
    In some ways, I do too. They really set up the new Kirk well - young, very smart, brash, reckless, a cheater if it helps him get his way, always chasing women (which grows tiresome), a high-stakes gambler, and he will not stop if he thinks he's right. Shatner's Kirk was all those things too, but you sort of had to watch and figure all that stuff out over time. Abrams makes sure the viewer notices all those things right away.

I watched about half of Star Trek III: The Search For Spock last night with my daughter. At one point, during a fight scene, she said, "This is so lame! There's not even any music."

I don't have an eye for film production the way some folks do, but I realized she was right. It was just two middle-aged guys (Shatner and the guy more famous for a different science fiction movie series) wrestling and grunting in front of some special effects that haven't aged well.

I did see some things in the first half of ST III that JJ Abrams might have picked up on for his first two movies:

Spoiler:

A huge new Federation ship with Trans-Warp Drive chases the Enterprise, including a scene in which Enterprise warps away from right in front of the larger ship. By the way, whatever happened to wormholes from going into warp while still in the solar system?

On the Genesis planet, the land just sort of "falls away" as the planet crumbles, as we saw on Vulcan in the newer movie

Also on the Genesis planet, combatants "hanging over the edge" reminded me of scenes that were similar to what we saw on Nero's ship when Kirk and Spock were there.

Not surprisingly, the kids liked Star Trek: Into Darkness, but I think it was a bit too repetitive after seeing The Wrath Of Khan a couple days before. A few times, they both said, "this is just like the other movie!". I think those winks and nods are better when it has been years or decades between movies instead of days.

Yeah, I know, I need to find something other than Star Trek to watch. I see you guys posting in the What are you watching? thread but I got nuthin' but ST right now. And that's okay with me.
    Last edited by George; October 27th, 2020 at 01:30 PM.

I actually giggled like a kid and loudly said fuck yeah at this latest episode of Discovery. What a fantastic look back at a piece of the original series.

Masterful.