Page 38 of 66 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Omnibus

William Shatner turned 90 yesterday. Here's a list of 90 facts about him.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...er-actor-facts

Whoa! He is 90 already?!?!

I just discovered the Pluto app on one of our TVs. One (Samsung) has it; the other (Sony) does not. Roku's website says it's available on their devices also. We still have a Roku 3 from just before TVs became "smart" and I like some of the oddball stuff that can be found on it.

It requires an internet connection but it otherwise free. They do have ads but they seem to put them where they'd normally go, rather than inserting them at random like some of the free channels on Roku do, such as PopcornFlix.

Inside the Pluto app is a whole list of channels similar to cable TV or the Roku "live TV" section. One of these is a Star Trek channel! So far I have only seen The Next Generation, but I just discovered it a couple days ago and I don't spend much time in front of a TV anyway. Programs start at the top of each hour just like regular TV. They show a Pluto TV logo screen after each show ends when there's a few minutes before the top of the next hour when the next show starts.

Last night my daughter and I caught TNG: "Sins Of The Father" just as it came on and I could immediately tell it was an important episode. It reminded me of TOS: "Amok Time" in some ways.

Spoiler:

A member of the crew has to go "home". The captain and another senior officer accompany him. The captain ends up becoming more involved than he expected, etc.

I know ST is widely available on Netflix and other places, but there's something cool about seeing it on "live" TV and not being able to choose which episode (or maybe even which series) to watch.
    Last edited by George; April 15th, 2021 at 09:18 AM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I've had fun re-watching TNG with the Gallifrey Gals (they have a youtube channel/patreon account of reactions to Dr. Who, TNG, other shows) and after re-watching the first part of The Best of Both Worlds (aka the big Borg episode) I had a theory...

In the first of the 2 parter, Shelby tells Data that to combat against the Borg's tractor beam being used against the Enterprise, that Data would have to keep firing phasers at different frequencies and it worked.

The sad part is that the other Starfleet vessels didn't have a Commander Data....BUT WHAT IF the results of the episode "Measure of a Man" were different and Maddox was able to make Datas for all of Starfleet by the time this episode happened...I wonder what the outcome could have been.

Of course Picard being taken by the Borg would let them know this strategy and possibly a way to counteract it, just thought it was an interesting thought experiment.

I've caught several episodes (or parts thereof) of TNG lately, both on Pluto TV and on the BBC America cable channel. All but one were new to me.

I haven't seen any episodes with the Borg yet, although I'm familiar with who they are from one of the TNG movies and just from hearing about them over the years - "you will be assimilated," etc.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Mark Lenard as Sarek on an episode of TNG. I only caught a few minutes of it. The Enterprise was orbiting Vulcan when the episode started, so I stopped to watch since that obviously caught my attention. Sarek was preparing for a meeting on some diplomatic mission he'd been setting up for 93 years, he said. He had a different wife than in "Journey To Babel", which I guess is obvious since Spock's mother was human and couldn't have lived that long. Later, it is mentioned that Sarek is 202 years old.

That made me think that if Sarek was alive in TNG, probably Spock would have been also. I must resist looking that up, but I vaguely think I remember seeing Spock in one - perhaps the one with Malachi Throne (also a TOS alumnus) wearing a Romulan uniform that looked more like a couch cushion than clothing. I don't want to go look and find more TNG spoilers as long as I'm getting more and more interested in it.

I thought TNG was supposed to riddled with awful, cheesy episodes akin to Season 3 of the original series, but so far I haven't seen one.
    Last edited by George; May 6th, 2021 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I thought TNG was supposed to riddled with awful, cheesy episodes akin to Season 3 of the original series, but so far I haven't seen one.
    I can name some for you

My picks for cheesy episodes:

The Royale
    Sub Rosa
    QPid
    Rascals

I'm sure there's more
    Last edited by MR2 Fan; May 6th, 2021 at 07:09 PM.

My goodness, you remember all the episode names?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    My goodness, you remember all the episode names?
    no, I looked them up

Good. Otherwise something must be wrong with you!

I think my personal cheeziest episode was probably the Dr. Crusher having sex with the green ghost or high on green smoke... after looking up, I think the episode name is Sub Rosa.

Also the episode that they seemingly randomly killed of Tarsha was another WTF moment for me. However, it was cool that they let her return in a subsequent episode that has a different timeline...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 7th, 2021 at 07:17 AM.

With the Internet, nobody needs to remember anything.