Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Omnibus

Today the web taught me something. A ship which might be used for hauling away garbage could be termed a scow, but not a scowl.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I was just thinking about the turbolifts in TNG. I don't think it's ever specifically mentioned, but if you look at the lights in the background, it's implied that the turbolifts not only go up and down, but sideways.

I was wondering if that ever existed in our time, and apparently it does:

https://www.wired.com/story/the-side...uture-is-here/

They had that in the original series also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    One thing that stands out for me was renting the VHS of one of the TNG movies one weekend: First Contact. The crew found themselves transported back in time to before the earthlings had developed FTL propulsion. They help the 21st century locals get their prototype ship in the air, while at the same time fighting off the Borg, surely one of the most diabolical and formidable villains in all of sci-fi. It’s a great film if you haven’t seen it.
    I haven't seen it in quite a while now, but I remember it as a great film. I stumbled upon it the first time by accident on TV and LOVED it. Cromwell was maybe a bit over the top as Cochrane, but he was so much better than the dullard who played him in the original series. That episode, called "Metamorphosis", was one of the most boring episodes of the original series. It's not quite as tedious at "The Empath", but it comes close.

First Contact may have been what got me to take TNG seriously after scoffing at it initially, and then just not thinking about it much one way or another after that.

The

Spoiler:

missile silo
    was a great idea, as was explaining how

Spoiler:

Vulcans first made themselves known to humans on Earth.

Question (with possible spoiler/plot description for any who might not want to know) -

Spoiler:

Was First Contact the one in which two Vulcans - a man and a woman, if I remember correctly - walk into a small town on Earth and try to blend in with the locals because their ship is broken down or something?

The first Zefram Cochrane was far more conservative in appearance and behavior than the second.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    You're thinking of an episode of Enterprise where T'Pau and some other dude get stuck on Earth in roughly the same time period I believe.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Ah, okay. Thank you. I watched Enterprise for a while on Netflix but let too much time go by between episodes and got out of the habit somewhere in the second season, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    I was just thinking about the turbolifts in TNG. I don't think it's ever specifically mentioned, but if you look at the lights in the background, it's implied that the turbolifts not only go up and down, but sideways.

I was wondering if that ever existed in our time, and apparently it does:

https://www.wired.com/story/the-side...uture-is-here/

Man, what kinda trekkie are you, if you never had these bad boys growing up!?

They explained the turbolifts in all their glory. As I recall, if you watch scenes in the turbolift in TOS, they would actually stop, and the crewman would twist the penis-shaped control, and THEN the lift would go sideways. (I might be remembering the movies instead though...)

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    I think you're thinking of the DS9 episode where they visit the Enterprise. I remember them being confused on how the turbolifts work.

That being said, I have both the TNG and DS9 Technical Manuals. Always looked through Mr. Scott's Guide at book stores but never bought it.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

1701-refit will always be "my" Enterprise. So I had to have the book.

Hmm, I wonder where my TNG technical manual went... probably buried in my parents' garage or store room somewhere...