Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Omnibus

Junior Potato
    Dweebs

I liked it, thought it was funny and told a Star Trek-like story. But I'm a casual fan of the series, I mostly only watched TNG in syndication and the recent film series.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Not that impressed with the show, but I do like it enough to keep watching for free!

I also like the direction the shows going, and this show will probably help to explain what happened to starfleet which became what it is in Picard...

Gene Roddenberry most likely won’t approve but it certainly made the Star Trek universe more realistic.

If I exist in the ST universe, I most likely would remain in the lower decks for sure...

I just stumbled upon an advertisement for Star Trek: Discovery DVD Season 1 and 2 available on DVD from Amazon.com, in case those like me who don't subscribe to CBS All Access want to see the shows without paying a monthly fee.

No link from me, but I'm sure anyone who's interested can find it very easily.

From a quick scroll through the reviews, it sounds like this show may not be suitable for children. Any comments about that from those in the know are welcome. My kids are almost teenagers and we aren't "helicopter parents", but at the same time I don't want to steer them toward shows meant for an older audience, if that's the case. I don't know and don't want to search for fear of spoilers. I hate spoilers.
    Last edited by George; August 24th, 2020 at 09:39 AM.

I don't quite understand how Discovery could be not suitable for children... particularly pre-teens... perhaps the occasional foul languages?

My daughter is only 2nd grade and she doesn't really like sci-fi..., but if she's in Jr high and interested in sci-fi, I'd have no problems letting her watch it.

However, I get the feeling that my daughter will not be interested in Discovery if when she's older. It's probably true that Discovery wasn't aimed at kids. If you're not a trekkie already, you probably won't enjoy the show regardless of age. Why don't you guys just watch the DVDs together... then you can gauge their interests in real time... and see if the show is really suitable for them.

Personally, I enjoyed Discovery more than Picard. Sentimental value wise, for sure Picard wins hands down, but in terms of story writing, I think the writers did a much better job for Discovery. If all goes well, surely the 2 series will somehow come together I'm sure... the only 2 foul mouthed ST shows...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 24th, 2020 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Why don't you guys just watch the DVDs together...and see if the show is really suitable for them.
    Well, of course that's how we would watch it. I want to see it too but it would be more fun watching as a family.

I just don't want to stumble upon sweaty, grunting, naked sex scenes or whatever else there might be that would make kids and parents uncomfortable watching together.

I don't watch much modern TV, but when I do, I'm reminded of how much things have changed since the shows I grew up watching with and without my parents.

No naked sex scenes, don't worry.

My wife and kid just aren't interested in techno-babble... and some scenes may be too intense for younger viewers... and the very occasional foul languages.

Personally I'd not have any issues allowing my 8 year old to watch it, but like I said, she's just not that interested in the genre... plus she'd run away when action movies get too intense! Even in Disney movies, she can't handle darker scenes involving villains... I'd need to get her to stop running away from her fears whether it's watching movies or living real life!

Anyway, like I said, although the show is definitely not geared toward children, but other than a few cuss words, I don't believe Discovery is inappropriate for children.

Great. Thanks.

I thought it better to ask here than start reading reviews and learn things I don't want to know until I see the show for myself.

I recall a short Klingon sex scene in one of the episodes (I don't remember which, sorry). It wasn't drawn out or graphic but there was some strongly suggestive understanding (and maybe a flash of boobage without nipple?).

Okay. So it may be inappropriate for Klingon’s under 13.