Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ecliptic Ecsperience

Got our eclipse glasses and ready to enjoy the show!

I was looking at the website timeanddate.com and it's just an amazing resource. I spent 45 minutes on the toilet last night looking at their eclipse simulator for almost every major city in North America. Everyone will see it on April 8th in one form or another, except for most of Alaska aside from a place called Juneau, which will see a very partial eclipse. Even down in Central America and the Caribbean they'll see it, as will the north-west tip of South America.

As great as it is for us in North America, people in the UK will have quite a unique view watching the eclipsed sun setting over the horizon. Ireland and Scotland in particular. That'll be cool to watch I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Drive, take day off work - totality is where its at!

Ive already got flights, accom, glasses etc... Texas here I come.
    I'd love to but work intrudes. It's going to be pretty epic here too, even though we're just outside totality. We were thinking of going to Niagara Falls to experience it, maybe spend the weekend there but I'm hearing horror stories of lack of hotel room availability and price gouging. People who have booked months in advance having their reservations cancelled. We could go down there the day of, but I imagine traffic will be a nightmare. Don't want to experience the eclipse stuck in the car on the highway. They're preparing for the party of the century down there.

It'll be great here too. Now all we're worried about is the weather. Early forecasts show clouds and maybe rain. That'll suck. Hopefully it changes.

Totality...

a partial is cool, but being in totality is a different level
    Again Id suggest people make the effort to get inside that line - yes even if you are stuck in traffic!!

Im still working on where we will watch. Got a few possibilities but Im planning on doing an explore a couple of days before.
    Getting close now, a week till I fly.

Still trying to figure that out myself. My house will have about a minute of totality, right on the edge of the line. Interestingly, even the middle of the line (at least at my lattitude) still gets only like 4 minutes. So not worth driving for time. But I do want to try doing some kind of photography with it, so maybe something a bit nicer than my backyard.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

The city of Niagara Falls has declared a proactive state of emergency leading up to the eclipse. They’re expecting an enormous influx of tourists for the event. The place is already an huge tourist attraction, but now they’ll have more visitors than they’ve ever had and can probably handle. Wild!

Lots of towns in Texas are doing the same. It's mostly smaller towns that would never normally have large amounts of visitors.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Junior Potato
    It's a good idea. It allows local towns to put measures in place to handle the influx of people.

I'll go to my hometown, about an hour north of where I am now, and watch it with my parents.

https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse-cities/city/32191.html
    Get that weak shit off my track

Apparently I can just go outside.

Question is: do I bring a camp chair to work on that day?

Just a few days away! Forecast here according to my weather app says partly sunny…which I suppose is better than partly cloudy.

Not looking great weather-wise in north Texas.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)