Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecliptic Ecsperience

Nothing better than a GTX post that gets you digging into a topic and learning more!

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    Saw the full thing in southern Illinois.
    Where did you end up going? My wife and I drove to Shawnee National Forest and it was spectacular - I'm extremely happy to have seen it with my own eyeballs. Thanks to Destin at Smarter Every Day, he pointed out a bunch of things to look out for that I was able to identify for my wife and a few folks around us to see. The next one in the US in 2024 goes right over our house, but I don't think that we're going to stick around to see it as that time of the year generally has a bunch of lake effect cloud cover. We'll probably head back to Shawnee as the eclipse path coincidentally crosses the same area as the 2017 eclipse.

Dragging this back up... we had a pretty good lunar eclipse last night. The moon was near perigee so it gets called "super blood moon". Silly name. Saw someone post surprise that a super blood moon happened at the same time as an eclipse!
    P1020760.jpg

Need to work on my camera setup/technique!
    Last edited by Dicknose; May 26th, 2021 at 03:31 PM.

Apparently there was a solar eclipse today. Ring of fire. I totally missed it. Didn’t even know. Just heard about it watching Kimmel.
    Last edited by sandydandy; June 10th, 2021 at 07:56 PM.

Well, not that visible at the west coast!

I missed the lunar eclipse today. Now have to wait three years for the next one. I was just staring at the moon right now thinking this doesn’t look red to me. MSM fake news!

I had read 5:00 to 7:00 EST…but somehow missed the AM part.

Oh well.

Seattle area was pretty cloudy so couldn’t even see anything last night/early morning. Today is actually pretty clear, but too bad it ain’t happening today.

Wife has been hoping to see auroras, but never have any luck either… someday…

Junior Potato
    Lunar eclipses are quite common. They happen usually every 6 months, and visibility just depends on whether your side of the planet is pointing towards the spot where the moon happens to be. I think they are cool, but unremarkable, so I didn't even bother to lift my arse from the couch last night when it was happening.

Solar eclipses are also quite common, occurring roughly as often as lunar eclipses, but you have to be within a few kilometres of a very specific path to get a chance of seeing one. And the view is stunning, and I should know having seen one... as mentioned briefly in the opening post.

And yes I did eventually get into the knickers of a girl named Sally. Not quite as stunning a view, but hey... at least it lasted longer

I’m sure most everyone has heard about the upcoming solar eclipse on April 8th. I was looking at the path of the eclipse and it’s really close to us. We’ll be in the penumbra - but literally just outside the border of the umbra. Hopefully it get a little bit dark here too. That’ll be exciting.

Hamilton and Buffalo will be in total darkness. I wish it wasn’t happening on a Monday, or I would drive 45 minutes to Hamilton to experience it in all its glory.

Now is a good time to hunt down proper eclipse glasses. Last major eclipse in 2017 we looked at it through welding helmets, and I swear my eyesight hasn’t been the same since. Can’t read things close up anymore. I use large font size on my phone too. May just be old(er) age kicking in…or perhaps there was some damage done last time. Will be safe this time.

This will be fun!

Administrator
    Or you could just look right at it.