Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecliptic Ecsperience

If I'm unemployed on the 21st, I may drive down to the Corvette Museum. It's in the path of totality, and they're having a big event.
    Get that weak shit off my track

PittRace is having a discounted open track day on the 21st. Wonder if registration is down because people have party plans.

I'm less than an hour from totality, but I don't know if I'll have the day off work to go see it, but I will get something like 99 percent here in Athens.

I wonder if it's safe to view the eclipse through my iPhone camera. Been reading conflicting articles/opinions on this topic all over the web.

To be safe, I'll do it with one of my old BlackBerries.

If you're just looking at your phone's screen, and nothing else, it will only get as bright as your phone can get. It will be fine. Just be careful that you don't look around it.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yup that's the plan. Just hoping there's no damage to the camera lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    If you're just looking at your phone's screen, and nothing else, it will only get as bright as your phone can get. It will be fine. Just be careful that you don't look around it.
    You really thought he was asking if he was going to sustain eye damage looking at his phone?

Keith. Buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    You really thought he was asking if he was going to sustain eye damage looking at his phone?

Keith. Buddy.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    I wonder if it's safe to view the eclipse through my iPhone camera. Been reading conflicting articles/opinions on this topic all over the web.

To be safe, I'll do it with one of my old BlackBerries.
    You'll kill the camera sensor if you're unlucky. It's basically focusing sunlight onto a tiny point, like you do when you fry ants with a magnifying glass. You're better off making a pinhole camera and viewing what it projects.

If you want to look directly at the sun before or after totality then pick up a pair of eclipse glasses. They're cheap and shops all over the place will be stocking them. I watched the transit of Venus with a pair, it was quite awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    You'll kill the camera sensor if you're unlucky. It's basically focusing sunlight onto a tiny point, like you do when you fry ants with a magnifying glass. You're better off making a pinhole camera and viewing what it projects.

If you want to look directly at the sun before or after totality then pick up a pair of eclipse glasses. They're cheap and shops all over the place will be stocking them. I watched the transit of Venus with a pair, it was quite awesome.
    That's why I'd prefer to do it with an old phone that I don't use anymore. Been reading about those eclipse glasses. I'll look for them this week.