Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Market Disruptions Thread (aka Millennials ruin EVERYTHING!)

I'm sure it's not real gold, but they do their best to treat you like a king or a shah!

Hmm, best airline, often it depends on the route or the flight itself to be honest. I'm taking Emirates to europe next saturday, things I like are the seat (1-2-1 layout, decent size side table and storage, I like the little bar at the seat), entertainment is very good, food is pretty good, limo at each end (very handy at the europe end where I'm 40 miles from the airport) and since it's a 380 there's the bar up the back which is an awesome way to kill a few hours and meet some interesting people. I don't like the gold and wood, I find it very tacky, and I don't like the Emirates service.

For me the best are Qantas (330), Emirates (380), Qatar (787, 350) and Cathay (350). There's lots of others which are very good and they're each slightly better at different things than the other but thats the best group imo.

Yeah, just like gold emblems on cars or wood trims inside cars, they do look very tacky indeed! Just something I've never seen before so made an impression!

Good to know that there isn't a BEST airline...because I typically only travel with the cheapest! Also hoping to someday be able to fly the 787 and the A380...

You'll need a lot of flight hours to fly those, so unless you've been in the Air Force the last 20 years that's an unrealistic hope

Administrator
    If memory serves, it was actually a little bit cheaper to fly Lufthansa to Tel Aviv vs. the United flight I did take (because other coworkers were on that flight). Longer layover, but I'd get to ride on an A380, so I may have to go for that option next time I go.

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    You'll need a lot of flight hours to fly those, so unless you've been in the Air Force the last 20 years that's an unrealistic hope
    I haven't even flown in one as a passenger, so I don't really expect to actually piloting one of them within my lifetime!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Good article:

https://hbr.org/2018/01/how-automati...se-and-meaning

Edit: It will be interesting to see the difference in the role of education after a few decades if automation does remove most of the tasks needed. Modern Education is mostly a tool of getting people into the workforce.
    Last edited by MR2 Fan; January 15th, 2018 at 08:39 AM.

Critical thinking and creativity can still be taught in school to get them ready for the workforce.

Plus, computers can already make calculations faster and better than human, but that doesn't mean we can stop teaching kids how to count.

As far as labors are concerned, I find it difficult to replace your local plumber or roofer... since every house has slightly different shapes, size and DIY screw ups..., I can't believe a robotic handyman will ever be able to replace them! These jobs will also be very difficult to outsourced to China or India. Laborers that require creativity/problem solving skills should still be able to save their jobs from robots. Even for service industries, maybe people will pay a premium to have humans preparing and serving your food!

Even when UBER is running completely autonomous vehicles, the company still cannot continue on and to grow without some sort of human intervention.

I think worrying about machines replacing humans is unnecessary. My main worry would be the growing divide between the super rich and the super poor.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    It isn't about replacing ALL jobs, but if it replaces another 20-30% that's a massive difference. Our political and economic models just aren't designed for that yet.

We need to be able to at least attempt to predict how things will change. I mentioned it before, either in this thread or the politics thread that we may need to start looking for countries to offer a minimum living wage once these changes start happening.

Perfect example is my job. I do through a computer program what used to be done by 5-10 people.

I'd love to see actual stats (and not just estimations) on jobs lost to immigrants vs. moving jobs overseas vs. automation/computers/robots in the last 20 years. I'm betting the computers have the lead.