Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Market Disruptions Thread (aka Millennials ruin EVERYTHING!)

True. Something like Cathay Silver saves tons of hassle. But getting it requires flying a lot.

I love travelling with people who have a Cathay Diamond card (all bankers). They can take you into the First Class Lounge where you get seriously good food and drink served to you, and which isn't full. They can also take you with them and help you board first.

Failing that, travel with youngish kids, as that way you still get to board just after the Business class guys.

Yes, traveling with a baby/toddler will totally make travel a pleasant experience for yourself and everyone else on the plane!

A lot of us software people have the equivalent of cathay diamond as well YW The best food is in the Qantas Sydney and melbourne first class lounges (had an excellant lunch at the Melbourne lounge on th way to Bali) but my favourite lounge in the world is The Pier First Class in Hong Kong. Just a wonderful place to relax before or between flights. This is having a Negroni there last month

068558BD-672E-4376-BF86-D666548D81DC.jpg

Junior Potato
    I always board the plane last. No need to hurry when you’ll just sit there waiting for everyone else.

Mate, I think you're the only one I know who's not a banker and who has Diamond... but yes, the Cathay First Class lounges in HK are brilliant. As they should be if you are paying USD20,000 for a ticket to London.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I always board the plane last. No need to hurry when you’ll just sit there waiting for everyone else.
    Yes there is, you need to bag some of that sweet overhead luggage space!!

Yes, traveling with a baby/toddler will totally make travel a pleasant experience for yourself and everyone else on the plane!
    Hey, I was just suggesting a way to be able to board first, I wasn't talking about enjoying the rest of the flight. That's what noise cancelling headphones or IEMs are for.

Junior Potato
    I hadn’t considered the O/H luggage need. I always stash my shit under the seat in front. It very handy if you’re on a window seat; you don’t have to crawl over your fellow passengers to get your bag if you need it.

Yep, I always travel in economy. But nearly all of my flights are 2hr domestic trips.

Anyway, here are my tips for an easy flight:

1) Book an aisle seat right at the back of the plane. Last row if you can.
    2) Get on last. Just chill on a seat at the gate while 150 of your fellow travellers worry about queuing.
    3) Be fed and bring water.
    4) Bring wired noise-cancelling headphones and a portable games console. Preferably one loaded with Breath of the Wild.
    5) Since you’re right at the back of the plane, you’ll enjoy the double-convenience of being one of the first to get off the metal tube, assuming the destination has rear disembarkation available.

Sometimes I look forward to a flight simply because I can play Zelda.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I hadn’t considered the O/H luggage need. I always stash my shit under the seat in front. It very handy if you’re on a window seat; you don’t have to crawl over your fellow passengers to get your bag if you need it.
    If you have very little carry-on, yeah, that's fine. But if you have bulky stuff that you MUST put in your carry-on (important, confidential documents, suit and outfit for a wedding you're attending, etc.) or if you're just going carry-on only for more than say 2-days, I don't think that's possible.

1) Book an aisle seat right at the back of the plane. Last row if you can.
    I always avoid the back. Isn't the air recirculated from the front to the back? And isn't it usually next to the toilets? I do like how on some of the Lufthansa international flights they put the toilets on a separate floor and altogether though.

4) Bring wired noise-cancelling headphones and a portable games console. Preferably one loaded with Breath of the Wild.
    Agree, especially if you're not travelling with anyone. Ah, bliss.

5) Since you’re right at the back of the plane, you’ll enjoy the double-convenience of being one of the first to get off the metal tube, assuming the destination has rear disembarkation available.
    I think it's usually only domestic flights that have that.

Junior Potato
    I’ve never had issue with the air con at the back. It’s not like it’s circulated through everyone’s lungs - it still comes out the little overhead nozzles. And the dunny has negative air pressure, so only the worst products (like mine) can emit a smell into the cabin.

Vast majority of domestic flights I've been on here have the lav at the back. Back row is the worst because of that and no recline. Amazes me how so few people bother to use the airport restroom before a 1-3 hour flight.

Basically the key to pleasant air travel is to be sufficiently wealthy to get those perks. Which is pretty much the case in any aspect of life, really.

Business class is the only way to travel, especially internationally. It's so superior it's hard to believe it's the same aircraft. It's literally the difference between arriving at your overseas destination refreshed, or a haggard zombie.

My favorite local theater removed all of the normal seating and replaced it with what they call "Luxury Loungers"(big overstuffed leather recliners). Downside being that each theater doesn't have as many seats as it used to. Upside being with less seats each showing is pretty much guaranteed to be a sellout.