I wanted to post a new thread regarding this topic, and you can feel free to just read along or add your own thoughts/info.

As we've seen, many established markets recently are being disrupted by new technologies/companies.

I figured I would make a list and my thoughts as I feel it is very important to recognize this paradigm shift and being able to predict what may come next.

The markets that are either being changed massively right now or expected in the near future:

Retail (Amazon and, well, Amazon)
Music (first it was Napster, then Itunes, now Spotify, etc.)
Movies & TV Shows (Netflix and other streaming services getting their own exclusive movies and awards)
Cable/Satellite TV vs. Cord-Cutters (ESPN is losing out big time)
Currency (Cryptocurrency, boom, bust?)
Automotive (electric and auto-pilot changes specifically)
Taxi Services (Uber and Lyft vs. existing Taxi companies with often violent consequences)
Large Restaurant Chains losing ground to smaller, quick service restaurants and things like UberEats coming out now with delivery
Grocery (not really a thing yet, but will be more common I think)

Looking back, every industry has gone through major changes in the past century or so...but they were seemingly more gradual and not completely overhauled within a 5-10 year span.

I do think Millennials are a major contributor to these changes, but as most of us know, just blaming them isn't the solution. The problem is the people who have been in business for a long time can't predict what they want very well.

There's a youtube channel, L2Inc. about business disruptions and he discussed how brand names don't matter as much anymore in the era of Alexa and Google Home.

Ironically, the small companies who were the upstarts challenging the big companies a few decades ago are becoming juggernauts in the new space.

Consider Apple, Google (erm, "Alphabet"), Amazon....how much just these 3 companies control