Page 29 of 57 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I'm Feeling Sad" thread

Administrator
    (snipped for brevity)

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineObsession View Post
    It's definitely some sort of anxiety thing (i've been back on antidepressants for exactly a week now, first time in nearly ten years i've had to use them), and it kinda seems like some sort of claustrophobia thing as well, feeling trapped type of thing?
    It really sucks, and it's ruining things for both of us.

Brains suck.
    My wife had panic attack issues for a while, bad enough that she couldn't actually will herself to go into the grocery store. She's also gone on some anti-anxiety meds which helped some, but she actually found a lot of help from doing regular meditation. She started by going to a studio for a couple of weeks and, once she'd gotten the hang of it, usually just does it in our bedroom for 20 minutes or so a day with a recording or app on the phone that she listens to over earbuds. Since she started doing that, I've seen her maybe get close on three panic attacks in the past couple of years, and in every case was able to identify it coming on and use breathing and meditation techniques to calm her mind down and get back to a steady state.

Definitely not saying it'll work for everyone, but her doctor recommended it and it worked great for her.

I use the Relax Melodies app for that with earphones. Binaural beats, anywhere from 2.5-20 Hz are good. Don’t really know how to properly meditate, but I like to use it as sleeping music. I usually get a good nights sleep and am generally more mellow the next day. Definitely could work to curb panic attacks.

This stuff is all over YouTube, but with sound compression and stuff it’s hard to know if you’re really getting quality sounds to relax you. Still, it’s worth a shot.

Administrator
    My dad headed off to do a couple-week-long tour of eastern Europe. He's pretty into photography and this was a chance to check out a lot of countries he hasn't been to. He was scheduled to fly back today.

Got a call from my mom this morning that he's in a hospital in Slovenia. They thought he had pneumonia, but now they think it's a failing heart valve. Earlier this morning our time they said he wasn't okay to travel, so we started trying to figure out flights to Slovenia. Later on they've said that his condition improved and that he's okay to fly.

My sister and my mom have essentially gone into meltdown mode. I'd like to do that too, but one of us has to try to figure out what to do, so I've just thrown myself into trying to figure out who is flying where and sort out travel plans. Right now I think we're going to get him on a flight tomorrow that takes him to Frankfurt for an overnight layover. He speaks German and lived just outside Frankfurt, so that seems low-stress. We wanted to fly out to help him, but we would have a hard time getting to Slovenia by the time his flight should be taking him out of there. The only options back are either multiple layovers or one long layover. Most are on eastern European airlines I've never heard of, an expensive one but with that layover in Frankfurt, then direct to San Diego is expensive but it's on Lufthansa. I figure we're doing that.

I'm worried, but I have to not be so my sister and my mom can be. I'll feel a lot better when we get him back here. That or we're looking at maybe getting him a flight to Oslo, where he's got lots of family and we know the hospitals are good.

My poor mom is dealing with this while going to a funeral for her friend this afternoon.

Getting old sucks.

Best wishes.

Oh man, that’s tough!

If there’s family at Oslo, maybe he should just rest up there 1st?

Anyway, will keep your dad in my prayers...

Yes, getting old sucks... father in law was recently diagnosed with an aggressive form of liver cancer. Wife and kid went to Taiwan to take care of him while I stayed behind to take care of our cats... it was so last minute we just could not find anyone to kitty-sit...

Anyway, surgery was a success so things will be okay for now. However, it’s still possible for it to quickly come back again... fingers crossed... and of course prayers...

Hope your dad will be okay too.

Administrator
    I hope your dad is okay as well. It's scary to be this far from your parents when they're sick.

Thanks. Yeah, that scary feeling definitely sucks!

I hope your dads get well soon!

Administrator
    He's currently being transported to Vienna. He's been cleared to fly, but the travel company will only cover the trip if he satisfies their insurance requirements, one of which is that they don't trust the medical staff in Ljubljana so now he's headed into Austria. Should be there in a little under four hours.

Surprisingly, it's harder to find a one-stop flight from Vienna to San Diego than it is to find one from Ljubljana.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Best wishes, mate.
    acket.