Page 30 of 57 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I'm Feeling Sad" thread

Agreed, safe travels for your father and good wishes.

And good wishes to your father Billi.

Yeah, thanks guys!

Administrator
    My dad is still in Vienna. He's been cleared by the doctors, but the travel insurance company is saying he can't actually leave until they approve it, otherwise they're not paying for any of this. So, he's been discharged but is still actually staying at the hospital and waiting for word.

In the meantime, he's now saying his email doesn't seem to be working on his ipad. I'm trying to get him and my mom set up on a Slack instance so they can actually communicate, but of course neither of them know what the app store password is on their ipads, and Slack keeps insisting on installing the app rather than run in the browser.

After he gets home, I'm headed to Cupertino to crack some skulls.

Oh man, I’ve been thru that kind of thing with my parents too...

Anyway, why can’t they just text each other then?

Administrator
    My dad's phone doesn't have a SIM that works in Austria. He was going to buy a SIM card today, but I guess all the shops in Vienna are closed on Sundays.

This whole communication thing is a cascade of errors that we've been trying to fix but the parents resisting change. For some reason, they insist on sharing this old Earthlink email account. They use the same email, and email each other at their own shared address. This is already asking for trouble. They do the whole thing over IMAP with devices that may or may not be configured to delete emails pulled from the server, so sometimes all but one device will lose all the old emails. Then they don't know the app store password, and also are resistant to using cell phones overall. My dad has one, but only turns it on when he wants to make a call and otherwise it's off. My mom does not have one.

So far email has proven unreliable, my mom has struggled to remember that it's "011" and not "001" to call international, they can't remember their password for the app store and honestly I don't think could swing the password reset process even if email was reliable, and my dad only has a cell phone and that only works when there's Wifi.

He has complained that the insurance company says they're going to call but then don't, but I do think there's a good chance that he's just hard as hell to get ahold of.

I tried to guilt Slack a little bit to remove their browser sniffing for iOS devices but that didn't work out.

I think I may take a page from our principal architect at work. Tell them they have until the end of December to set up their own Gmail accounts because that's when I'm forcibly killing the Earthlink one. No exceptions - it's gone at the end of December.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Day of the dead was particularly somber for me this year.
    acket.

Administrator
    No confirmation yet, but it sounds like they're putting him on a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt tomorrow morning, then direct from there to San Diego. We shall see.

Sorry to hear that Mario.

Yeah, you want to talk about it Mario? Get it off of your chest might be helpful.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    No confirmation yet, but it sounds like they're putting him on a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt tomorrow morning, then direct from there to San Diego. We shall see.
    That means the Insurer has stepped in?
    acket.

Take care, guys.