Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Go anywhere in the world in under 1 hour? Musk at it again

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    The idea of if we can travel that fast is one thing....traveling comfortably is a much different thing

Right now they've had a Falcon 9 first stage fly twice, I don't know for sure what the costs were but I don't think much money was saved refurbishing vs. just building a new one. But unlike the Space Shuttle program, SpaceX definitely is not just going to accept refurbishment being expensive, they will keep working on it until it is cost effective (or until the company goes out of business).

This still seems pretty far out there though, even when they figure out rapid re usability of a first stage this plan would also require the second stage / spacecraft to be rapidly reusable, which isn't even being attempted on Falcon 9. Right now landing a rocket is pretty sketchy, and it's a long way from being even in the same ballpark as an airplane for reliability. Dragon 2 was supposed to be capable of propulsive landing but that has since been cut.

I guess the fact that it's a long shot isn't a surprise though. Any plan to get people to Mars in Elon's lifetime is going to have a low probability of success.. will be fun to watch regardless!

Nice idea!
    But cost and reliability. Oh and will people enjoy it.

He says for the price of an economy ticket, well it might be if you just count fuel. But someone needs to build spaceports and infrastructure to support them.

As for enjoying it, I think it would start mostly as an adventure ride. Become an astronaut, do what Alan Shepard (first American in space) did! Weightlessness, black sky, qualify for astronaut wings (above 50 miles)
    I think that would be a huge appeal. But would it also put off people who are after a commute? Medical screening?

Interesting idea. Could be huge for long distance travel, especially flights longer than 10 hours.
    Dare I say it, Australia outdoor really use that, with Sydney to London or NY being 20 hours and needing two flights.

Quote Originally Posted by retsmah View Post
    Right now they've had a Falcon 9 first stage fly twice, I don't know for sure what the costs were but I don't think much money was saved refurbishing vs. just building a new one. But unlike the Space Shuttle program, SpaceX definitely is not just going to accept refurbishment being expensive, they will keep working on it until it is cost effective (or until the company goes out of business).

This still seems pretty far out there though, even when they figure out rapid re usability of a first stage this plan would also require the second stage / spacecraft to be rapidly reusable, which isn't even being attempted on Falcon 9. Right now landing a rocket is pretty sketchy, and it's a long way from being even in the same ballpark as an airplane for reliability. Dragon 2 was supposed to be capable of propulsive landing but that has since been cut.

I guess the fact that it's a long shot isn't a surprise though. Any plan to get people to Mars in Elon's lifetime is going to have a low probability of success.. will be fun to watch regardless!
    Yep!

When tesla figures out how to mass produce high quality cars and when spacex figures out how to reliably and cheaply reuse rockets/spaceships as what's done in commercial aviation... musk should become the richest man in the world.

Tesla is getting close to that target, spacex is not quite as close, but still pretty darn impressive so far...

Of all tech companies so far, I really want these 2 to succeed! Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I know with full confidence if the Marines could deploy a fire team anywhere in the world in an hour, they'd land and wait a day for orders. Hurry up and wait.
    I can not stop laughing at this comment.

Same.