Thread: Racing Books

Racing Books

One of my law school classmates just published his . . . memoir:

https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Fastes...dp/1975941357/

I haven't read it yet but Jim is one of the people in my class that I have actually gotten to know and enjoy talking to so I thought I'd make mention of his book if anyone wants to take a look. I'll read it between semesters and let you know how it is.

Aside from that, anyone have any decent racing related reads? Other than Going Faster!, Speed Secrets: Professional Race Driving Techniques, The Man in the White Suit, and a handful of other books I don't have a ton of racing titles.

Tangential; The Art of Racing in the Rain has been optioned by Fox for a film adaptation, Disney and Universal both bought the rights prior and then let it die on the vine.

Steve Matchett's books are reasonably interesting.

Mark Donohue's "Unfair Advantage" was good, I thought.
    Whoomah!

I'm discounting all the racing "annuals", technical and/or tuning books & coffee table picture books that make up the majority of my motorsports bookshelves, these stick out in my mind.

These two would make a good companion read for you Indycar fans out there:

Black Noon and Rapid Response

Probably my personal favorite book that I own that has anything to do with cars, but you'll likely need to be into the Land Speed Record (or adventure ballooning):

Jet Blast and the Hand of Fate

And perhaps my fave (automotive) coffee table book that is actually worth reading:

Into the Red

Note: If you seek this last one out, you must make sure you get a copy with the included audio CD so as to be able to hear all them sexy beasts while you're reading about them.

Good call, I meant to list Black Noon but forgot. Read it earlier this year and found it very compelling.

There's some good stuff out there.

My three favourites for sure are:

"Senna vs Prost" by Malcolm Folley <---- my personal fav, because it doesn't spend 400 pages sucking Senna's dick
    "Rush to Glory: Formula 1 Racing's Greatest Rivalry" by Tom Rubython <--- Lauda vs Hunt, done very well
    "The Limit: Life and Death on the 1961 Grand Prix Circuit" by Michael Cannell <--- Phil Hill's journey to and from F1

"The Man in the White Suit" by Ben Collins
    "Flat Out Broke" by Perry McCarthy
    "Go Like Hell" which is about the Ferrari vs GT-40 at LeMans
    "Life at the Limit" by Sid Watkins

I'm not standing in front of the shelves at home or I could recommend a bunch more... In my opinion anything about the 70s and earlier is really riveting stuff to read.

Alrighty then. As I trust you implicitly, I was on the fence about "The Man in the White Suit" but will add it to my xmas list now.