Page 51 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

Yeah, you have to have rubber arms to make the hairpin in iRacing/Long Beach.

I can't remember the last time I had a problem with wheel lock. Modern sims should have the wheel at a 1:1 ratio with the virtual car's steering, as long as you have your total wheel degrees set correctly for your wheel (not sure what DD wheels do in this instance since they have no physical stops FWIU). Racing games just work correctly on my T-GT anyhow.

Speaking G2x wheels in general, they are incredibly durable for how inexpensive and "toy-like" they are, I'll give them that. Mine served me well for many years, though I must admit my G27 felt pretty cheap and weird after I went back to it for one weekend from the T-GT.

The weirdest thing my G27 made me do is avoid serrated curbs (apex or exit) in ACC because the FF vibrations over those curbs made the G27 feel and sound like it was going to shake apart. Which of course it didn't. But that still slowed me down or made me cringe every time I used a curb.

Even a T300 is a good step up from G27 in terms of wheel FF. The Logitech pedals are definitely better at that level, though.

Administrator
    ACC definitely has the in-car wheel lined up with the actual wheel, and the FF in it feels great. F1 2019 on the other hand, that's the one where I'd say the wheel is going at about a 2.5:1 ratio, where I have to go hand-over-hand to get around slower corners.

I haven't tried the other ones yet only because FS2020 took up all my disk space. Also the only reason I haven't picked up Cyberpunk 2077 yet. I have another drive that I need to install, then I can get back to optimum levels of screwing around.

Junior Potato
    Not every game handles wheel rotation the same. Some racers I see on YouTube even have rotation set differently per car. But in general if the on-screen wheel rotation matches your hands then you should be right.

If you're having trouble, the easiest way is to use the tuning menu (here) and adjust the maximum rotation. What I do is spin the wheel either 90 or 180 degrees, open the tuning menu, and adjust the SEN value - you can literally see the on-screen wheel change its position live while you're doing it, no need to enter or exit the game - until both wheels line up. It's super handy.

While we are on the topic, I set my brake force (BRF) to 50% with my load cell - just firm enough to give me control without being overbearing. I've never used the V3 pedals but there's a handy hint for you.

Another similar topic, look for and download the Fanalab software. It gives you full access to all of the controls in the tuning menu as well as a few extra features that are in beta at the moment, such as customising the behaviour of the LED rev counter lights or what the 3-digit LCD display shows you on your wheel.

Administrator
    I'll have to look into that, I was just changing the steering saturation in F1 2019 which helped, though it's still not quite there yet.

I didn't realize my pedals had haptic feedback.

Administrator
    The Dark Ages are coming. EA's buying Codemasters, so I wouldn't expect too many more great Dirt Rally's.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/14/...for-speed-dirt

Junior Potato
    I think they'll keep it. Remember the WRC license is coming to Codies from next year. If anything that might make the rally games cheaper overall when compared to the properly expensive full game plus season passes they had in 2.0. So as long as they have the WRC license they will keep churning out yearly WRC titles.

Same goes for the F1 license. Remember when EA used to publish the F1 games back in the early 2000s? They could roll it into the EA Sports library again, but under Codemasters' stewardship.

As for their other titles, it is hard to say what they will do with the DiRT series. It's a well known franchise, but EA already have arcade racers in their stable. And Project Cars... would that be any great loss to the sim racing community?

EA ruins everything it touches.

Administrator
    Oh, I have no doubt they'll keep making Dirt Rally games. I also have no doubt that they'll be pale imitations of what we've gotten in the past.

I'm with Cam. EA (and Activision) have a long history of picking up publishers, focus grouping their franchises to death, then laying off enough of the staff that the publisher exists in name only when they're done with it.

Add Ubisoft to that list.