Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

Junior Potato

Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

I think we should, and this is it. Let’s talk about our equipment and games and the janky options we use to set ourselves up.

I’ll open things by posting about this (which is good, because I’d otherwise have nowhere to post about it without it getting lost among other discussions). It’s a device that supposedly allows you to use any FFB wheel on any console, thus saving you heaps of money.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...lity-nightmare

I wouldn’t get it just to use my PS4 wheel to play FH3 or FM6, the only racing games I own on the Xbone, but it might be worth it for someone who has say a PC or last-gen wheel (or a pricey Fanatec base) and already owns a new console with some games but doesn’t want to pay $300 for a new wheel. A good investment in this regard.

Administrator
    It has been a long source of frustration for me that I can't use my G27 with my consoles, that may actually be really nice to get.

I race every Sunday night with rFactor. We just started our yearly Trans Am series using the Historic GT mod. I have a G25 that a fellow racer gave me after my MOMO Racing died. (It did not owe me a cent. Awesome value.) My cockpit is an Ikea hack, using a poang chair a friend gave us and about $10 of supplies from the hardware store. I use my 52” 1080p TV as a second (racing) monitor. My main screen is a 21” Cintiq.

I occasionally race Forza 6. I too am annoyed by not being able to use my wheel in Forza. It is not a big deal, as I get my racing fix elsewhere.

Alas, rFactor is getting obsolete. RFactor 2 has been out for a while and there are plenty of newer, shinier sims also. I think our little league will be dead soon, as many have moved on.

Administrator
    Right now, I've got pretty much all the majors, I think. rFactor 2 (though I still haven't installed it), iRacing, Pcars2, Dirt Rally, Forza 7, GT:S, and Assetto Corsa. I got a VR setup and now feel weird playing sims that support it without using it. It massively improves my ability to judge distances and hit my marks, just being able to look towards the apex is a huge advantage. On the downside, it shuts out the outside world, and I really like my wife, so I tend not to use it that much. It's got me in this weird spot where then I just don't drive at all.

I also need to get another SSD so I have some more room so I can keep all that stuff installed. Probably one of them PCI-E ones.

Junior Potato
    I’m getting my racing seat closer and closer to something pretty cool now. Got my shifter mounted to the fold-up Playseat on a Ram mount, which arrived this week. I initially had it attached down near my thigh but it was way too far back, so I moved it onto the swingy-uppy steering wheel frame bit and it holds it just fine.

Now it’s in the perfect spot, and to reach it all I have to do is move my arm in a happy little arc down from the wheel and onto the shifter. Next I’ll cut the piece of wood down to make it smaller (and lighter because race car) and maybe even paint it black. Or just wrap it in black duckt tape. Or wrap it in faux carbon fiber (again, because race car). There’s one issue with the Ram, which I thought I’d mention in case anyone else goes down this route. It holds its position very strongly once tightened, but it wobbles like crazy when changing gears. I’ve put in a stiffer shifter mod, so this exacerbates things somewhat, but it’s worth noting. Another problem is that the shifter’s position interferes with the latch over the movable frame, but I’ll live with it.

As far as everything else on the seat goes, I’ve got all the bits hard mounted and the cables managed, and it’s pretty well complete now. It feels so god damned cool giving an old F1 car a blippy downshift heel-toe into a fast corner in Assetto Corsa on the PS4. I’ve spent the better part of my Friday mucking around in AC and PCars2, and trying out all the old H pattern cars, something that’s almost completely missing from GT Sport.

Junior Potato
    Assetto Corsa is cheap-as on Steam right now. It and it’s DLC packs are all 60-70% off. Despite already owning it on PS4, I bought it again, as well as the Porsche and Ferrari DLC for the princely sum of $22.

My laptop is no match for my PS4, so I’ve gotta run it at 720p if I want 60fps, but I’m future proofing myself for the next 18 months when I can finally get a spec’d-up gaming PC and play in VR. That’s still my goal

The game just received an update this week with a bunch of new cars and Laguna Seca. It’s great fun to drive AC, and I really enjoyed trying the new Huracan Performante. It’s got great handling, and you’ve just got to be patient with the treaded tyres if you’re used to slicks like I am.

Administrator
    I had a hell of a time configuring the VR on that. Dunno why, and I should probably go back and try to do it again. When iRacing and pcars2 work absolutely flawlessly out of the box and AC doesn't, I haven't touched it since I got the rift.

Junior Potato
    Do yourself a favour and download the Goodwood and Bridgehampton mods for it.

Drive a Ferrari 250GTO or an Alfa Tipo on them.

Bring a big towel to clean up the jizz.

Junior Potato
    New Assetto Alerto:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ain-gt-licence

The next standalone AC title will be called Assetto Corsa Competizione, and calling itself the official game of the Blancpain GT Series.

It’ll run on Unreal Engine 4, allowing for day/night and weather cycles, probably needing a million graphics cards to run at full tilt.

Early access coming this winter.

Junior Potato
    More news for Assetto Corsa:

Looks like the recent free update for the PC version that brought Laguna Seca and a bunch of new cars has finally made it to consoles, as it was in my update history on the PS4 when I booted it up today.

It includes the stinkingly good Huracan Performante and the astoundingly pretty Tipo 33 Stradale, which comes in your choice of colours as long as it’s red. Simply lovely.

And April 20 sees the release of Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition, which I’m guessing is the final edition of the game, complete with all DLC.