Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 LastLast

Thread: Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

Oof. Tough call. I think I would consider this a racing incident. You probably did not get a spotter call by that point. As you say, he barely had any overlap, but that was a dumb move on Hinman's part to attempt a pass where he did. Never pass on the outside of a corner exit. He could have easily draft-passed you before the bus stop if he was just a little more patient.

Exactly Cam, I did not even close the door at the corners before.
    When we got there I thought "Oh, he is going to pass me just with the slipstream. Well played". And then he punted me. LOL

In other news, your computer looks like a terrarium.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    In other news, your computer looks like a terrarium.
    And it is as big as one!

My quick thoughts:
    Turn 1: little bit risky under braking to close the line with a car so close behind and with momentum, but fine to do so if you choose.
    Turn 2: no problem
    Turn 3: no problem
    The crash: his fault I'd say. That was always going to be an extremely risky move into a rapidly disappearing space and even if you had tightened your line (you didn't have to, he hadn't established any overlap even by the apex) he would have been worse placed for the next corner being on the outside if he didn't fully clear your car by then.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    Thanks for the detailed replies.
    I've to really ponder about it (a real racing car used seat would put me back not much less than the Rally one by TR, unfortunately and it will be more uncomfortable for my back, as they usually are).

No monitor mount, I do not need nor have the space, unfortunately.
    This is my actual studio (forgive the mess, it is an ongoing job to order everything, we just set up my girlfriend gaming and reading desks behind mine last week), monitor is already in use and that is how I make do.

Normal PC use and gaming

Sim racing
    ThatísÖ a cozy setup. You will have to consider the space a TR8 will take up. Itís got a larger footprint than the Challenge and much more bulk up at the height of the wheel deck. It would probably feel like itís taking over your whole office.

I do like your monitor solution though. That swinging arm is a neat trick.

The funny part about it is that the TR8 Pro is not that bigger than the Challenge, because it has less than a formula position.
    1390mm of lenght of the Challenge (plus the lenght of the TM stand I adapted to it) is on par with the max lenght of 1490mm of the TR8 Pro.
    Width-wise we are at 540mm of the Challenge versus 600mm of the TR8 Pro without the gearbox side stand and that is quite the bulkier part.
    The heights are 960mm for the Challenge against 1070mm for the TR8 Pro (understandable because of the GT position)... while the wheel deck chassis (max 689mm) is lower than my desk, so it will be under the desk for most part.

It is bigger but not that bigger, luckily.
    I can look into replacing the white left drawers with two slim desk legs in case, to recover some space on the left.

Anyhow, pulled the trigger: my girlfirend has supported me in doing so, the TR8 Pro will be a great Christmas gift.
    She debated to get also the Simagic Alpha Mini + FX Formula rim, but unfortunately they are all out of stock (both separate items and as a bundle) and I don't want to spend more for the Simagic Alpha full on DD with the FX Pro most expensive rim.
    I've subscribed to their waiting list, let's see if something will change before Christmas, but I doubt about it.

Time to sell the old wheels and the Challenge: I've already a friend of mine going to take the T150 RS Pro for 100 euro, going to sell the T300 RS GT as well, I suppose. I'll keep the T-GT2 and the Open Wheel rim as backup anyhow, while using the TLC-M pedals with the eventual Simagic for a bit, before deciding if moving up to something better in the future.
    Last edited by Blerpa; November 24th, 2022 at 04:30 PM.

Just be a bit careful with the simagic stuff.
    I'm on their Facebook page and discord, seems a lot of people are having issues. Disconnections, firmware update issues, software issues etc.
    The biggest issue I have, there's no real help out there, only the community or simagic "reps" on the pages who refer you back to the distributor. Makes me a bit wary. They do look like good products, but I'm worried about reliability and getting help in 2,3,5 years time.

I did see Trakracer have teased a wheel today, be interesting to see what happens there.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    My quick thoughts:
    Turn 1: little bit risky under braking to close the line with a car so close behind and with momentum, but fine to do so if you choose.
    Turn 2: no problem
    Turn 3: no problem
    The crash: his fault I'd say. That was always going to be an extremely risky move into a rapidly disappearing space and even if you had tightened your line (you didn't have to, he hadn't established any overlap even by the apex) he would have been worse placed for the next corner being on the outside if he didn't fully clear your car by then.
    Thanks mate!
    I'm always trying to race clean, at times even at the expense of tighter lines and more aggressive driving, but I'm curious if I do something wrong and pretty conscious if I ruin someone else race. That has costed me some places in races, but it is ok - I rather do this way than be an asshole on the track.

Try not to get too worked up by the jerks that do stupid things then blame you.

Like Jackson. Don't be Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Watching Cam stream a Porsche Cup race, there's a truly special driver in the race, Jackson. This is how Jackson's race goes:

- Lap 1 turn 1, from pole position, can't make the turn, runs wide and falls way back in the order
    - Catches up to Cam in 3rd place (who says on the stream "he's going to hit me if I don't just let him by")
    - Taps Cam, 0x car contact (edit: Cam pulled it up in the replay, he tapped him TWICE)
    - Hits Cam, knocking them both off track and into ~8th-10th from 3rd and 4th
    - Calls Cam an idiot (presumably for not just driving off track to let him go by)
    - Spins off on his own, putting him behind Cam
    - Catches up to Cam, now in 7th, and hits him AGAIN, 4x but doesn't force him off track
    - Cam goes basically two wheels off track on the next long straight to let him by
    - Gets up to 6th place
    - Spins off track by himself AGAIN with ~3 minutes to go in what is basically a 25 minute race. Cam sails by.
    - Quits

This was Jackson. Don't be Jackson.