Page 60 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Stuff related to ACC:

Today I learned that the Fanatec GT World Challenge Powered By AWS branding is being adopted in Australia (round 1 is at Philip Island this weekend). I wonder if that means that all teams and circuits for this year's calendar might appear as DLC in the next 12 months. Same goes for the FGTWCPBAWS Asia series as well. Hopefully!

Another thing, with six months out of the seat, ACC has been going very strongly. It has had three new DLC packs (2020 updated cars + Imola, the GT4 pack, and the British GT pack) plus improvements across the board.

But one thing that I'd hoped was addressed but sadly hasn't, is what in my opinion is how the cars feel basically unrecoverable if you lose the rear end. There is zero feel for a car that is sliding even a little bit. I'm not a real-life driver - all of my experience is with fake racing cars, so I rely heavily on FFB to tell me if I'm losing rear traction. So that means in ACC without that information all I have is visual feedback, and that ain't enough! I should note that this is different to the situation I posted about last night in iRacing, where you can catch a slide if you're quick enough.

For example, coming through Brooklands at Silverstone. It's a flat profile with a fast entry and tightening radius. As you decelerate you need to know how much rear grip you have available. The steering will load up as the cornering forces increase, and if you lean on them too much the forces will pull to the right, as is normal. It should be a simple matter of correcting the steering, but then it feels limp because there seems to be no aligning torque centering the front wheels in their direction of travel if the car is sliding. For me that usually results in very slow, frustrating spins into the grass.

Outside of this, the game looks, feels and sounds fhhhuggin fantastic and deserves its place as the best racing sim that's not iRacing. I just wonder if anyone else has encountered what I am describing here.
    An italian sim racer has done a video - after a well timed 2 weeks hiatus from any sim racing - about what sim feels more natural and comunicative, especially at first approach.
    The main differences between ACC and iRacing were in two areas: graphics (dah!) and the sim way of communicating the limit of losing grip, especially at the rear.

He also tried Assetto Corsa, Automobilista 2, rFactor 2 and Project Cars 2.
    Unfortunately he did not try Live For Speed, still the sim with the best tyre model ever created.

Enduracers mod for rFactor had the same no-rear-grip-at-slow-speed problem, resulting in many lazy spins in low-speed corners. I am not the only one to complain about it.

Junior Potato
    I've come to really embrace the slip angle in iRacing. I don't use it when I'm not confident, but as I mentioned to Cam on the weekend, it helped me gain 1.5 seconds of lap time with the 488 GT3 and a P2 at Hockenheim in VRS Sprint simply by allowing the car to slide gently on corner entry. The guys in the top splits were still 2 seconds quicker though

I could not imagine trying to do it in ACC and having no confidence in the grip. However, since I wrote that post I have seen videos from a few people outlining correct wheel settings for the game (which vary from car to car, and you don't have to do any of that in iRacing) that might help. But I am pretty deep into iRacing at the moment so I don't really see the point in trying to hard to 'fix' that game right now.

Junior Potato
    Some new reasonably-priced hotness from our friends in Germany:

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion...#Comment_64873

Available Q3 2021.

Still more than I am willing to pay at this time. :shrug:

Administrator
    Had a hard time gleaning what makes it better than the one I have now. It sounded like maybe slightly more torque? I do like the smaller form factor, anything that helps with space usage now that I've also got all this Honeycomb gear lying around too is welcome.

Direct Drive wheels are better because the wheel/shaft is directly connected to the motor, allowing for better force feedback. (according to articles I've read, at least) If you already have a direct drive wheel, this likely isn't an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by https://www.gtplanet.net/fanatec-reveals-csl-dd-20210421/
    Direct drive is the gold standard of sim wheel force feedback technologies. With direct drive, the steering is connected directly to the motor shaft, meaning that all forces transmitted from driver to game and game to driver are undiluted by separate slave motors connected by belts or gearing systems. This allows for a much finer, analog response, rather than the more granular feeling of other technologies.

However it’s also generally very expensive. Up until now, if you wanted a direct drive wheel, Fanatec’s own Podium range started at $1,000. The new CSL DD comes in at a fraction of that, at $349.99.
    Get that weak shit off my track

The price is for the motor only. You still have to pay for a steering wheel, pedals, shifter (if you want one,) and a way to mount it to your table or rig. Not “reasonably priced,” in my opinion.

It's all relative! Some people spend 6 figures on their sim racing setup, and I haven't been able to pull the trigger on a $300 Logitech or Thrustmaster wheel and pedal set to plug into my XBox and put on a wooding folding tray.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; April 22nd, 2021 at 09:59 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    It really depends on your intent with where you wanna go with sim racing. For me that base would be an easy swap-in with the current wheel base as I am already using Fanatec gear.

But remember when you get up towards this price range many people are in the beginning stages of mixing and matching components from different brands while they climb towards the top-end of the gear tree. It doesn’t make you faster though