Page 7 of 101 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

Love it. Want.

Junior Potato
    Some aspiring genius has found a way to extract a track from Forza 7 and convert it to Assetto Corsa. I found it yesterday via a Race Department comments section, which linked to a Discord page, as it's not hosted on RD. Plus I can't seem to find any videos on YouTube highlighting it, so I made my own! For maximum lulz I drove a Audi PlayStation Team Oreca-skinned R8.

The track is fantastic, and wipes the floor with all the other Le Mans mods I've found for AC so far. I hear that it was laser scanned by Turn 10 for the Forza Motorsport games, so it should be just as good as the other official Le Mans tracks found in GT Sport, iRacing and rFactor 2, etc. I'm not sure if this constitutes piracy or whatever, but... whatever!

Combine that with the awesome Sol weather mod and it's a sure recipe for a good time. The track has benefited from the addition of night time lighting using the custom shaders patch, though I think the lights could be more prominent for added atmosphere, especially along pit lane and earlier in the evening. Racing at night in a GT car and having the LMP missiles hustling you with their headlights blinding you in the mirror while you're being lapped is absolutely fantastic.

In the track pack there is the full version, as well as the obligatory no chicane version, and a bonus pair of tracks with reduced trackside detail, to help reduce the load on lower-end systems. As you'll see in my video, I did have a bit of an issue with choppy framerate, but that's probably more down to the fact that Sol requires a fair bit of grunt. I could drop it down to 1440p or 1080p I guess.

To get it all running like this, you'll need Content Manager, Sol, and the track, which can be found HERE.

And the aforementioned Discord page with the details is HERE. Just hit Ctrl+F on your keyboard then search for sx_lemans.

It's amazing what some people have done with AC. Nice showcase

AC has the car I want.
    rFactor2 has the tracks I want.
    iRacing has the community.

Things would be easier if I could eliminate at least rFactor2 since it's the only one that's not fully stable with VR.

Administrator
    I'm surprised these tracks don't just make their own laser-scan of the circuit and then license it out to developers. I'm sure right now a lot of developers have their own proprietary dot cloud, but this seems like something that could easily be standardized.

Junior Potato
    I can’t be sure on this bit but I think some of the car manufacturers provide 3D CAD models to game developers too. They’ve definitely done it for advertising agencies in the past. So it is a no-brainer.

But even so, you could probably guarantee that developers like Polyphony will do their own bespoke modelling anyway, such is their level of fussiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I'm not sure if this constitutes piracy or whatever, but... whatever!
    It does, but that's nothing new in the sim mod community.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    SRS BDNZ

Junior Potato
    Good update on the development of AMS2. Looks like things are coming along nicely, though I’m still sceptical about them using the Madness engine that powers Project Cars.

https://forum.reizastudios.com/threa...t-update.6837/

F1 2019: I finally ventured into Online racing. My first race was at Canada. I decided to work on my SR (or whatever F1 2019 calls it) by starting from the back and avoiding incidents. I hadn't run here much, so for 1-lap qualy I drove most of the lap to learn what I could and then parked it after the Wall Of Champions to get a really slow time to put me at the back. Except about 5 guys had crashed out of qualy so they all gridded up behind me. I took a cautious start, and I'll give you one guess what happened in front of me in turn 2. Yep, total carnage. Followed by 5 guys trying to yell over each other about how stupid the other ones are. I got up to about 5th or 6th getting through all of that. It started to sprinkle about halfway through the 5-lap race, and it was getting real slippery on slicks by the final lap. I finished 3rd. Wanted to save the replay, but I don't see an option for that in online races. A major omission!

My next race was at Albert Park. Same plan, same qualy result - several guys crashed out and started behind me on the grid. I went way left and slowed down to let the field pass, saw the carnage in turn 1/2 and tiptoed through it, but some guy reversed across the track in T2 trying to recover and I got a lot of damage from clipping him.

After those races I discovered that my skill/safety ratings weren't changing, and that I had to go to "ranked" lobbies to accomplish that. Ah, ok. Will work on that. Hopefully in time that will allow me into races where people generally won't crash out so much.

A great reminder how far we've come in online sim racing with the likes of GT Sport and iRacing. Thank goodness.

-

In Career mode I'm ~5 races in to Season 1. Signed with RedBull and it gave me Max as my teammate. AI is at 100%, I'm not quite meeting RedBull's ambitions for points, but I'm way ahead of Max who has pace but doesn't race well (methinks they need to give him a 2019 performance update!). I'm 3rd in the Championship and Max is 7th. Car development seems slow going, even when I manage to nail all the practice programmes and finish on the podium. They're stingy on credits. It might be a while before I can win a race, unless I can put it on pole at Monaco or Hungary. So it looks like it'll take a few seasons to get a fully developed car.