Page 63 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

I'm always amazed people still plays rFactor 2.
    I notice even more Grand Prix Legends aficionados than big R ones and I don't see any streamer pushing the title online.
    At least they have the Indycar license to push, though in the busy market with iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Automobilista 2 and Raceroom for multi series (Indycar as well) and AC Competizione for GT racing, I wonder where they will stand.
    Without forgetting Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsports.

Let's see, maybe they will do something nice.

I see this as a console announcement as I'm not buying into yet another PC 'sim'.

The WEC is joining the party in 2023 as well: https://www.racedepartment.com/news/...d-in-2023.112/
    Get that weak shit off my track

Think about being such a buffoon to believe rain in sim racing is a gimmick. In 2021.
    That or a certain company from Massachusetts.

Junior Potato
    I watched both videos. I agree with Gamer Muscle for the most part. It’s the same scenario from the mid 2000s when everyone wanted damage in simcade games, and when they finally got damage they found it made driving frustrating and turned it off anyway.

It’s only been the last few years where dynamic weather can begin to be done with the right level of fidelity. The first time I experienced good dynamic weather to a satisfying degree was in ACC in a career mode race: Hungary at night, starting with a wet track that dried out gradually, leaving a dry line with small rivers of water flowing across the track at certain points. It was very intense. And that was back when everyone was still shitting on ACC because it wasn’t as good as they’d hoped… but that game has progressed in leaps and bounds.

I think the only way to make dynamic weather make sense is if it’s made to be nothing notable. And by that I mean don’t exaggerate it’s presence. Whenever you see rain in a game it’s in torrential downpour conditions to show off the visuals, or you start a race in the dry and oh! suddenly it’s pissing down and everyone has to pit on lap 2. Nobody ever does it subtly. Feel our physics! We can do crappy handling!

I think ACC can almost do it realistically. But that game hasn’t got a built-in matchmaking system to the same level that iRacing does, which is a shame. The market can probably only cater for one game where people pay that much to subscribe and maintain a service like that.

iRacing could definitely do it from a physics point of view by making some adjustments to its dynamic track system. The visuals that compliment such a system would probably cause headaches for a lot of racers because it’s an older title and many of these people have delicately balanced settings to get it to run smoothly on lower-spec systems. So it will be a while off before it’s introduced into iRacing. Hell, they’ve only just upped the unique car count to 7 per race and are maybe sorta thinking about updating to DX11 graphics!

If they DID make it a feature in iRacing, the smart thing to do would be to never introduce rain into rookie and D class races, only have it in races that are longer than 1 hour, and give all players a tab on the menu showing local weather conditions with a simple rain radar so that they can predict and make adjustments to their strategy.

Junior Potato
    Hmmmmm......

Junior Potato
    Oh... oh no...

Oh well!

Junior Potato
    https://youtu.be/5Rdo7XpqkRw

AC Mobile shown off. It’ll be about as good as you’d expect a sim with touch controls to be. E-sports and British GT driver James Baldwin is seen to be really struggling to play it in the video.

Meh.

"sim"