Page 83 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

Junior Potato
    After about a week with these new beauties mounted under my wheel I’ve finally gotten them set up just right… to feel almost exactly like my old pedals

Except for the throttle, which was really stiff when I first had a go. Way too stiff for my gammy knee, so I adjusted it to its softest setting. It’s still a bit stiffer than the old Fanatec CSLs, but the advantage is with stock cars (which have no pit speed limiter) I can hold the pit lane speed limit better than I could before, which reduces pit travel time and almost eliminates the risk of speeding.

Plus my favourite part is that I can mount the brake closer to me than the throttle, and that makes the heel-toe distance REALLY nice for those crispy downshifts in manual cars. It makes me want to get my faulty Fanatec shifter serviced so that it works properly again, and have another drive on the Assetto Corsa LA Canyons mod in an old Porsche.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I don't care about you, Mick. So, what did the old bloke say? Does he still come around to winning?
    acket.

Get that weak shit off my track

Get that weak shit off my track

Mick and Yobbo, how are you finding yourselves with that Trak Racer? I'm debating pulling the trigger on a TR8 Pro with the Rally Seat (GT seat looks too rigid for my tastes, Reclinable one would be cool but there's too much leather, it would be hell in the summer), since there are Black Friday Sales.
    Is the gearbox/handbrake bar fixed to the right of the frame or can you put it on the left as well/detach totally from the main frame?
    Also, should I order the tiny wheels to move it around or there is anything negative about them (like not able to be stopped or weark and prone to brake down, I dunno)?
    Shit would cost me 1090 euro delivery included.
    That's quite a lot of money and a lot to ponder.

I still get troubles with my Playseat Challenge.
    It is fine but the TLC-M are too much for it to handle.
    Tried to fix it buying the official Thrustmaster pedal stand... it is a bit better but either you weirdly lock the pedal part of the Challenge under it or when on hard braking the stand pushes you and the whole Challenge frame away

This the TM stand with the TLC-M on top and the Challenge pedal support under (covered by the stand, obviously):

Last edited by Blerpa; November 23rd, 2022 at 03:46 PM.

The Pro would be a good purchase. If I had of waited a couple of months later, I would have had that, as it seems they phased out the normal TR8 not long after I purchased it.
    The gear stick platform can be mounted on either side, I'm sure the Pro comes with one?
    It seems the monitor stand/mount is an optional extra, so make sure you get that too.
    I have rally seat, it needed a lumbar support added to make it feel better, and stop from getting a sore back.Plus I noticed I get a sore ass/tail bone when I use the frame for non racing gaming.
    I'd also recommend the wheels, makes cleaning under it a lot easier as it lifts it quite a bit off the floor.

Only thing I don't really like, it's tedious to make adjustments once it's all set up. I just decided to push my wheel back as far as it would go to bring the seat the next "click" forward.
    Then the pedals were too close, so to adjust them, you need to undo the pedal plate to gain access to the 4 mounting bolts to be able to slide it.
    Little things, but overall it's a damn good and solid piece of equipment.

Junior Potato
    Yeah I love love love my TR8. Mostly because of the generous leg room that allows me to manoeuvre my broken and beaten lower limb into place. If it wasn't for that, I'd either have bought something else or not be sim racing at all, and it turns out that I believe these are the very best sim racing seats available in the world aside from the custom aluminium rigs.

But that price... I guess I can say I am lucky that these are made by an Australian company (in China) so wasn't ridiculously priced here. If the Euro price was the same, I'd probably have taken a longer hiatus from the hobby, and gone slightly more insane while I was recovering from my accident. It was $1200 incl delivery for me. Euro price equates to about $1700, so you're getting a reasonably good deal if you consider the added export fees.

One thing I might suggest is see what the price is like for one without a seat and see if it's worth the time and effort to source your own. They have standard side mounts for bucket seats, and you never know some company might be able to supply one that you like for a reasonable price. I have the GT seat, and I'm not the slimmest bloke on the planet but it caresses my bottom and hips quite well. Mine didn't come with the fancy side mounts though. They have two slots at the back and three at the front (like this). Better ones have more holes (like this). I wish I had one more hole available for tilting it back just one notch. As it is my tailbone can feel it after a good session, so a nice soft memory foam ass cushion is a recommendation.

I use mine literally as my full-time couch because all my entertainment gear is plugged into it. I can sit here all day and be alright afterwards. It's not as comfy as a real couch of course, but I can still fall asleep in it!

Other main points:

Yes the shifter mount can be placed left or right. You can buy an extra and turn it into a flight cockpit if you want.

The wheel deck is 100 friggin percent the dog's bollocks. It'll handle whatever nonsense 30000000 Nm direct drive you eventually buy.

The pedal plate will handle an elephant stomping on it.

But that said things still wobble, but mine has a 20 kg curved monitor and VESA mount hanging off it now. But any wheel forces will probably escape your notice depending on how invested your attention is in the game you're playing.

I have the castor wheels. They are all metal except for the actual wheel. The brakes are fiddly and feel like they would slice my toes open if I tried clicking them on, so I never bothered with using them. I just roll it to one side to vacuum underneath, then roll it the other way to vacuum the bits I missed. They are more than solid enough to take the weight necessary.

So, I say buy it, because the only thing better on the market is a profile rig.

Junior Potato
    Oh, and if you like really long-winded reviews, here's a good two-part review of an earlier model from SRG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJfi...imRacingGarage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msOF...imRacingGarage

After this Trak Racer went in an fixed all of the issues that were mentioned, especially the pedal plate.

Thanks for the detailed replies.
    I've to really ponder about it (a real racing car used seat would put me back not much less than the Rally one by TR, unfortunately and it will be more uncomfortable for my back, as they usually are).

No monitor mount, I do not need nor have the space, unfortunately.
    This is my actual studio (forgive the mess, it is an ongoing job to order everything, we just set up my girlfriend gaming and reading desks behind mine last week), monitor is already in use and that is how I make do.

Normal PC use and gaming

Sim racing

Production Challenge. Lap 6. I'm in the white Liqui Moli MX-5 Cup ahead in 14th place out of 27.
    Guy behind me, John Hinman, had just passed the 15th two corners before the video.
    He angry wrote in the public chat that he had me at every corner!
    And I was swerving all over the place for a 15th place!

Thoughtful of iRacing possible retaliation instead of calling him a clown I told him to watch the replay, he was behind and next time to use the brakes (I did watch the replay while my car was towed to the pits).
    What I forgot to tell him because after I had a race to finish was that he was not even half a car at my side when he attempted to pass me and that I did not swerve anywhere, even leaving him space in the second corner before because I wanted to play safe - and just kept my usual line in the two corners after.
    Also, I thought we were racing, not driving on the highway watching the sunset, hence not giving up a place to a god given A Class driver because of divine rights.

But here is the replay for you to watch.

Last edited by Blerpa; November 24th, 2022 at 09:22 AM.