Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485

Thread: Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

Junior Potato
    Congrats on the order Blerps

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    But here is the replay for you to watch.

Ha! I finally watched this. From his onboard you can hear him keep the boot on the floor all the way until he's facing backwards, which shows he was an impatient throttle jockey until the very end. But he did get a very good exit out of turn 1.

He's putting his nose in wherever he can, but that makes him slower due to the tighter line. Better to pull back a wee bit, ride in your tracks, and try get a slipstream and extra momentum coming off the hill. Although... passing into the bus stop is very hard to pull off and I doubt it would have been successful, due to it being a single line complex and a high risk of collision.

If I was to judge your driving, I'd say it may have been reasonable for him to think you might have been giving him room on the left, because you seemed to hesitate a little bit in taking your line off the right hander. So the unpredictability can contribute to the incident, but I'd put it all on him just being impatient. He still needs to understand that you're all playing a videogame where visibility out of the car is much more difficult, plus if you were planning to let him take some space on the left your line will have to tighten up and lead to your speed being slightly slower.

At the end of the day, surviving to fight his battles until the end is much more important than trying to win a 50/50 battle and coming off with nothing.

I was 14th and he was 15th.
    We both wrecked, and unfortunately wrecked at least other 3 or 4 cars; we were both towed to the pits losing a lot of time.
    Eventually I finished 20th and he finished 22nd.
    So, was it worthy to be so hasty? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Yobbo NZ View Post
    Just be a bit careful with the simagic stuff.
    I'm on their Facebook page and discord, seems a lot of people are having issues. Disconnections, firmware update issues, software issues etc.
    The biggest issue I have, there's no real help out there, only the community or simagic "reps" on the pages who refer you back to the distributor. Makes me a bit wary. They do look like good products, but I'm worried about reliability and getting help in 2,3,5 years time.

I did see Trakracer have teased a wheel today, be interesting to see what happens there.
    I think in Italy we are lucky, there's a company (Arc Team) that has been working in the sim market for 17+ years, selling about everything, up to dynamic rigs, set up for simulator centers, too.
    They are big, very professional and you can book an appointment at their headquarters, in Northern Italy, to try out many rigs and solutions, even customized for you (in that case - customized rig + whole PC build and monitor - often they do a video of the event of bringing it up at your home and setting it up with interview to the new client and they upload it on YT and their site).

They are both the owners of Trak Racer Italia and of Direct Drive Italia which imports and sells DDs (Simagic mostly right now).
    They guarantee phone and whatsapp assistance mon-fri in work hours for everything you need with their rigs and direct drive setups.
    I'm in the moderator staff of a mildly famous italian sim racing streamer and right now he is their (DD Italia) Brand Ambassador since he got the Alpha Mini + FX Formula from them... being in his staff I followed the whole thing behind the scenes.
    He even phoned them without revealing his identity to ask help with some setup of the DD, as a test: they stayed one hour on the phone with him helping on the spot with driver and software manager installation, plus getting everything ready in the software settings, while explaining it to him. They even helped him set up the whole thing in ACC and F1 22 which are the main titles he drives, by that point he was good to go by himself (he is an IT guy, he is capable, but wanted to test their after sale support without being well treated because of his name).

Like with every wheel shit can happen (it is one thing you learn after years in this market, be TM, Logitech, Fanatech, even Simucube...) but his experience was stellar (and still is with the wheel) and he is no type to not criticize products, actually he is very vocal when something is not up to what he thinks is good.

That leaves me quite a good feel of reassurance compared to Moza or Cammus which are only just imported and sold it to you "as they are", at least in Italy.
    TM assistance can be finicky for example and they are french, so they are close, and even in Europe Fanatec [Germany] has a so and so post sale support (although they seem to oblige to warranty when there are issues) and it is a bit slow depending on what period of the year it is.

That said Alpha Mini is sold out, and Alpha Mini bundle with the FX Formula rim is sold out as well.
    FX Formula rim by itself is mightly expensive and its bundle with the full fledged Alpha is more than 300 euro difference compared to the sold out Mini bundle, and I truly do not need the full 15nm Alpha servo base, honestly.

I will keep waiting and meanwhile think about the pedals.
    Choices? DC2, Simagic P2000, Ngasa by 3Drap or the Cammus one that really fascinate me: 3 pedals, each with load cell, and a real car feel (they could be my holy grail).

TR8 Pro + TG-T2 and TLC-M will make do as fine as possible for now.
    Last edited by Blerpa; November 25th, 2022 at 07:00 AM.

Junior Potato
    For those into rally games, WRC 9 is currently free if you are an Amazon Prime subscriber.

This is what I've been up to the last few days

20221127174258_1.jpg

This version of the track has the chicane at Malmedy, there is also the 1000km version without it, where it's very easy to brake too late! A delight to drive in the older cars and numerous brave pills required throughout the lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    For those into rally games, WRC 9 is currently free if you are an Amazon Prime subscriber.
    I've taken it, but WRC series to me have always been abysmal compared to Dirt Rally 2.0 - and fuck Richard Burns Rally. Let it die, for fucks' sake.

Junior Potato
    The consensus is the more recent WRC games have been quite good, so Iíve been really keen to try them for a while now.

But it wonít read any inputs from my wheel, despite Fanatec being the ďofficial wheel partnerĒ in the game. Lol.

It does drive quite nicely on a controller though, and the two stages Iíve tried are tough! Itís comparable to Dirt Rally 2.0 in that regard.

At least my Heusinkveld pedals work. Iím intrigued enough to want to troubleshoot the problem and not straight up delete 25 GB worth of download.

Generations has received an update just yesterday I think, since there have been troubles with many models of wheels.
    Dunno if any support for the old ones has totally stopped or not, though.

I'm not particularly invested in rally so I did not care much: I've tried the old WRCs (pirated, admittedly) while I own RBR, DR and DR2.0.
    To me DR2.0 is the best I've ever tried (RBR is only good if you are a "grognard" and have mighty patience to work around mods and finicky setup of things), so much I ended up for few months doing online championships and so on... but on controller! Tried few times with a wheel, could not be arsed to get so fatigued racing.

Then I stopped when I got fully back to sim racing on track.
    Time trialing vehicles with sketchy handling around trees and houses is not exactly my cup of tea - which speaks volumes to how much DR2.0 hooked me in spite of being a form of motorsport I've not much interest in (and Rallycross in DR2.0 is fun, albeit limited).
    Last edited by Blerpa; November 27th, 2022 at 01:35 PM.

WRC 9 seems very forgiving with a wheel, quite easy to win stages by 30+ seconds, rallycross is rather easy to beat the AI too.