Page 23 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I'm going to jump into the game sometime this week and see if I can match your laptimes....

(as if!)
    Curiosity got the better of me and I’ve already had a go. I’ve proven that I’m slow.

I did 20 laps in the GT-R and did a 1:50.8. Probably not in the same circuit conditions as the charity race. You need patience for this car. It’s a big lumbering boy.

To get there I chose the aggressive preset, blanked off the brake ducts, took fuel out of it, and fiddled with tyre pressures.

I wanted to do a back-to-back comparison with another car so I picked the Ferrari 458. Same setup procedure except tyres. Within 5 laps I had a 1:50.1. The car is very light in the front, plus I was overheating the brakes into turn 1, so I could probably go quicker.

In the Porsche a good qualifying lap for me is high 1:48's. Race pace is high 1:49's if in the draft and not holding each other up.

Here's an old hot lap video from Unleashed Drivers:

47.8 was my best qualy lap time. Pole was a 46.5 or so. That video doesn't show weather or track conditions, which are kind of important. It didn't look like the most optimized lap. You mentioned a recent track grip change a couple pages back - was that global or just Bathurst?

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    You need patience for this car. It’s a big lumbering boy.
    I think that was one of its bigger disadvantages, most evident in Ascari - slower change of direction. I didn't try anything crazy stiff but I tried a few different setup directions and didn't find very much gain in lap time, only feel and consistency. I made the car better over the kerbs to keep from dying at Ascari (and having a bad run out of Lesmo 2 if I clipped the inside curb) but I didn't have to go real soft to do so.

I saw on Perel's stream when he was behind me going into Ascari he made up huge time on me in the first left, just sent it in there and his Ferrari changed direction to the right instantly with no understeer. Racy! If I sent it like that I'd be "behind" in the next 2/3rds of Ascari and have a poor exit down to Parabolica.

Weather for the race was 25C ambient, 32C track, with a 7kph wind in an ESE direction. My best race lap in the final where I had minimal damage was a 49.1. I'll email my setup to myself so I can attach it here.
    Last edited by CudaMan; March 30th, 2020 at 10:19 AM.

^ that track grip adjustment was just Bathurst. The UD lap was most likely set in hotlap mode so your 47.8 is very strong.

Going to have another evening of races in F1 2019. One day I'll feel enough confident to use manual gears.
    Are there any disadvantages in playing F1 2019 with DirectX 12 compared to 11? (i5 4670k, 16GB DDR3 2133, RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB, game installed on SSD, 27" Full HD 60hz monitor).

Here's my Monza race set, good for 34 laps of fuel (and maybe 35, I forgot to check how much I had at the end). For qualy I added a little bit of tyre pressure, took out a click of rear toe, and removed fuel obviously. First flying lap, tires still weren't *quite* there yet so I ran enough fuel to do two more (3 flying laps total).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Junior Potato
    Thank you for sharing! I’ll have a look and see how slow I am on your setup…

I think the key is patience for me. For instance I made a heap of time on the first Lesmo by just waiting half a second longer before applying throttle. Slower is faster.

It’s laughable the number of trolls in the chat that called iRacing physics a “joke.”

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    Going to have another evening of races in F1 2019. One day I'll feel enough confident to use manual gears.
    Are there any disadvantages in playing F1 2019 with DirectX 12 compared to 11? (i5 4670k, 16GB DDR3 2133, RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB, game installed on SSD, 27" Full HD 60hz monitor).
    Gears: don’t rev the car right out. It’s actually faster in a straight line if you shift just as the blue lights come on. And you’ll be changing gear a lot in this game!

DirectX 12: no disadvantage as far as I can see on my RTX 2070. The big benefit is HDR for fancy monitor users. The only way to know for sure is to do a frame rate comparison on your system.

Just tried as best I could to replicate Bryan's race conditions - 24C air/31C track - fast - 8/9kmh headwind down the main straight.

Using the aggressive pre-set as a baseline with minor adjustments to tyre pressures and brake ducts the best I could run in a qualy simulation was a 1:50:007 That makes me 2% slower. Given the amount of time I've spent in this game (278 hours and counting) it's fair to say Bryan has lost none of his speed

Edit: Just tried the Porsche 991.II under similar conditions and did a 1:49:42x
    Last edited by stephenb; March 30th, 2020 at 02:30 PM.