Page 14 of 101 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

I did not even know this was happening.

Well, it's January, so...

Wait till you see what happens in June.

Bruh: https://www.iracing.com/specialevents/

Junior Potato
    iRacing usually hosts their version of big races a week before the real thing.

And I’d honestly be keen to do a 24.

24N is open for me, I will have been back in theb im for about 6 weeks and that should be enough time to knock off the rust and pump up my stats. 24LM is the weekend of my brother's wedding, probably couldn't go. Spa 24 sounds awesome and is sandwiched between two real world time trial weekends for me.

Watched a lot of Jimmy Broadben't 24 hour run. They got punted a couple times and ended up 8th in class.

Junior Potato
    I watched his team mate Nate’s stream on Twitch. Same car but they were showing external cameras.

After Nate’s final stint the stream quickly devolved into a cursed meme stream. It was hilarious and went for three hours.

Jimmy would be asking for race info and pit strategies, so every so often Nate and Boiley had to turn the music off and put their serious faces on to get the info needed. Then it would go back to the memes and mashups.

Sounds like a typical Jimmer stream. I know 359 watches him too.

I do too occasionally. I watch his edited videos of fun stuff more than the serious sim streams, but I'll still tune in once in a while.

Administrator
    As a side project/keep my programming skills up kinda thing, I've been working on telemetry server for various sims/games. Right now it only supports the Forza games, but adding support for others shouldn't be too hard now that the overall plumbing is there. It ingests the data over UDP while also hosting an HTTP server on the local network that displays some sort of telemetry data (right now it's just an HTML table with updating values for things like RPM, Speed, that sorta thing, but I ultimately imagine it having actual gauges and the like). I know there are a bunch of apps already that do this, so I figured I'd gauge interest before bothering to do anything like packaging it up in a way that makes it friendly to install. It's written in go and is pretty easy to get up and running if you have the go compiler installed (which is pretty basic and non-intrusive), and would also be easy to get into a docker container, but making an actual installer would be more of a pain.

If there is interest, which sim should I attack first? I'm figuring it's between iRacing and ACC, but wasn't sure which way we'd go on that.

Junior Potato
    I was going to say go with AC because it has a strong modding community who’ll be receptive to this sort of thing, but then I noticed you actually wrote ACC.

Interest behind ACC is a lot smaller, but it’s growing fast with its current updates and improvements. There are very few apps available for it on Race Department, so I think this would be a good opportunity to get in while the game is fresh and gain a bit of traction.