Page 20 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

Don't forget, AC is almost 6 years old now.

Junior Potato
    Here is the Not The Aus GP edited livestream according to Lando Norris. It's actually quite entertaining to watch

You'll find other stream edits by Jimmy Broadbent, Tiametmarduk, Super GT, aarava, Veloce Esports, etc all over YouTube just by searching 'not the aus gp'.

I was watching Nicky Thiim's live stream of him and about 60 other real racers (and Jimmer) at Daytona in 911 RSRs. It was awesome, haha. Actually really great racing too.

Some names I remember...

Thiim, Verstappen, Lando, Juncadella, de Costa, Spangler, and many others.

Junior Potato
    I watched Broadbent’s video of the same but he was stuck at the back and got punted off…

Pro racing drivers

I haven't seen the video but lots of pro racers don't take those races too seriously. It would be really fun to see that, though, especially now as there are no real life racing events going on.

Ok so by request, now that the new PC is up and running, here she is.

https://pbase.com/bryanh/pcbuild2020

Ryzen5 3600
    MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - seemed like a solid go-to budget mobo for the 3600.
    16GB RAM at 3200MHz
    GTX 2070 Super
    Crucial P1 1TB NVMe boot/game drive
    Seagate 2TB storage drive
    CoolerMaster MWE Gold 650W PSU
    The ubiquitous Fractal Meshify case. More than I wanted to spend, but I really wanted to mount the PSU right side up in a case with a mesh front.

I hadn't built a computer in 10 years so I had a lot of new tech to catch up on!

Being a budget-oriented build, I had planned to go with a 5700XT. I'm glad I signed up for iRacing a few days early and looked at the forums, because it apparently runs better (stability and FPS) on GeForce cards. I also checked the ACC forums, and the disparity was even greater in favor of nVidia. So I went that route and cut budget from the CPU instead (the original plan was an i5-9600KF), knowing it's likely the next gen Ryzen processors are still going to use the AM4 socket.

The case came with one 120mm intake fan and one 120mm exhaust fan. I moved the intake fan to the top as a second exhaust fan and installed two 140mm fans in the front. The idea was to create a small amount of positive pressure. What I didn't factor in was the front 140mm fans are PWM and the rear 120mm fans are not. So who knows what's actually happening most of the time. At idle the air coming out of the case isn't the least bit warm, nor was it so after 10 minutes of iRacing.

If anyone was curious, ACC with the keyboard is a really choppy experience but still easier to stay on track with than iRacing with a mouse. I'll get a wheel set up soon. I have an ambitious idea that may have to wait a bit, so I might just chuck the dusty G27 on the desk for now.

With the auto-configured iRacing graphics I averaged about 250fps in a test session. We'll see how this scales in multiplayer on the Nordschleife or something! ACC wasn't as pretty as iRacing, but I have yet to optimize either sim.

I didn't know the motherboard had LEDs, erm, RGB the kids call it. I knew the CPU cooler did but I bought it is because it was $20 shipped, right when I was buying all the other stuff. Not bad for an improvement over the included cooler. The red lighting isn't my favorite but it doesn't bug me either. Most of the time I suspect the glass side of the case will be facing away from me and all I'll see is the subtle glow of lighting through the mesh.

I'm getting some kind of interference between audio and graphical movement, manifesting as buzzing through the speakers when I scroll on a web site or when a game is running. I'll be changing some things to investigate this since it's pretty dumb.

Edit - purchased ACC and AC Ultimate on that Fanatical web site for $35. A fine deal, which iirc is still good for a few more days.
    Last edited by CudaMan; March 19th, 2020 at 01:19 AM.

Junior Potato
    Nice!

Similar spec to me, or a little bit higher. Here's what ACC looks like on my setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Xe1Sd6kGY

You'll be able to race at 1440p no worries, or if frame rate is your thing 120fps at 1080p is doable. ACC is very demanding.

If you have no luck tracing your sound interference, it's possible that it could be coil whine on the GPU hardware, which is unavoidable. I get it on a very bright screen (think of a snowy scene in a game) when pumping graphics. Best to turn the sound up and place your tower away from you behind your screen where you can't hear it as much!

Junior Potato
    YEET

https://twitter.com/raceroom/status/...975907328?s=21

In these difficult times of quarantine and lockdowns, it's very important that we take care of each other.

Therefore we decided to give everyone FREE access to all cars & tracks in #RaceRoom for the next few days!

Stay home, take care of your loved ones & enjoy some #simracing

Very nice Bryan. I'd definitely recommend investing some time in to ACC. Official competition servers are where its at for some competitive multiplayer. Plenty of aliens around to provide you with a challenge.

Junior Potato
    Look at this for a freaking lineup...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2wuuH9c-7I