Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Sports EV Concept

Even the NA mini is spritely, and while the throttle "feel" kinda sucks the steering is spot on and there's a good sense of connection between driver and car. The CR-Z has no such redeeming quality - driving a CR-Z is like driving an RC car. You have steering and throttle, but zero feel. Worse is Honda's wretched IMA to mess with throttle transitions. The worst thing about IMA - IMHO - is that when brand new it seems really slick. Sometime later - by 30k for sure - engine starts are straight up jarring. I don't love Synergy, but IMA makes Synergy feel downright elegant.

Thing is, as an appliance I'm sure you get used to it and it's surely fine - like a Prius is fine - but any sort of spirited driving? It sucks. The CR-Z failed to nail subcompact commuter like and failed to nail almost sports car. While the CRX distanced itself positively from a Civic, the CRZ is just a Civic with less space.

I feel like that's Honda's sad modern story. Excluding the S2000, Honda's only real successful introduction of the last two decades is the CR-V. The Crosstour sucked. The CR-Z sucked. The Element started strong but ended weak. The (2nd gen) Insight was a straight up embarrassment. Honda has great ideas but, apparently, criminal execution. I just can't hold my breath for a right side drive Sports EV.

I hear you AND I believe you -- but I also have zero feel. #stonehands

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    The CR-Z also looked like it had Down syndrome

People, the point isn't to bag the CR-Z, the point is to wildly WILDLY speculate on what the Sports EV Concept is gonna have!

But, I already told you. Not enough power, not enough style, not enough fun, not even enough cute. It's going to ugly, overweight, underpowered, overpractical, underfun. It's the Honda way.

Unfortunately I have neither driven the CRZ nor any of the Insights so I can't compare them to the Clarity EV...

However, I do have the S2000 and used to have a 1990 Civic Hatchback.... that's almost like the CRX!

Like I've said in other threads, other than the fugly look, Clarity EV has exceeded all my expectations! Considering Clarity is a 3 in 1 platform that also need to accommodate to fuel cells and the plugin hybrid's ICE... Clarity EV is really a compromise. There's a huge empty volume in its engine compartment. The car could've been a lot smaller or more efficient...

If Honda builds a dedicated EV with short wheelbase, I think chances are good that they can execute decently this time... I think Honda is slowly turning the ship around... Anyway, all of my changed feelings are all based on my satisfaction with the Clarity EV. If only they could build a better looking car, I might even stop pining for the Model 3.

I give it better than 50/50 odds that this thing will turn out good, should they choose to turn it out!

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    It's the Honda way.

C'mon, the new Honda Civic Type-R was a finalist in Road & Track's 2018 Performance Car of the Year. The NSX is a monster and did the Accord ever go away? Honda is on a roll right now, sporty-car-wise.

The team that dusted off the CR-Z Concept and approved that car has long since been blown up and scattered. It's a fun punching bag but it's like making Ace Ventura jokes at a party -- just means you're old.

You're so excited about this that I can see you trading in both your Chevrolet Code 130R AND your Nissan IDX Nismo!

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post

C'mon, the new Honda Civic Type-R was a finalist in Road & Track's 2018 Performance Car of the Year. The NSX is a monster and did the Accord ever go away? Honda is on a roll right now, sporty-car-wise.
    Yeah, but those are all old nameplates, cars that have evolved over time, and generally in a positive direction. What new car has Honda made in the last two decades - S2000 excluded - that was actually worth a damn*? The Ridgeline?

I do agree Honda is aggressively trying to fix its shit as the Type R suggests (I hate it, but I won't argue its chops) and maybe the Clarity is the Prius competitor Honda has been trying to produce for 15 years, but I'm sure as hell not getting my hopes up. My best case is it's the 1.0 turbo S660 that was suggested but we never got. Maybe Japan will end up with a sweet Sports EV. Maybe. Us? No way. Not gonna happen! Our next Honda is going to be an electric HR-V.

The team that dusted off the CR-Z Concept and approved that car has long since been blown up and scattered. It's a fun punching bag but it's like making Ace Ventura jokes at a party -- just means you're old.
    I will happily punch at the Element, Ridgeline, Crosstour, Insight, or CR-Z. All horrible, in the end.

I sure hope the CR-Z team got scattered. What a craptastropiece.

* Edit: I forgot the Pilot. They seemed to get that generally right. Pretty good all said and done.

* Edit 2: Does the Fit count? I don't know when it came out... Y2K? Another good Honda. But the misses outweigh the hits. Or, alternately phrased, even a broken watch is right twice a day.
    Last edited by thesameguy; November 8th, 2017 at 01:47 PM.

The current gen, 2016+ Pilot is woefully behind the competition in handling, braking, and the 9 speed auto in higher trims is constantly hunting for gears.

It's not just auto journalists saying that either; my father criticised the sloppy handling and transmission and he hasn't driven a remotely sporty car in over a decade.