Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warframe in 2017

Warframe in 2017

Warframe: Ninjas play free.

The game is much improved from its initial beginnings -- and playing it on the X1X in dynamic 4K (not true/native 4K) it looks razor-sharp and moves smoothly with no discernable slowdown so far (tho' I am admittedly still in the early levels).

Free-to-Play. You spend money to buy materials to build your gear (which you can also grind for) -- but this game is all about The Grind. You will end up replaying the same missions AND those missions are largely simple and involve killing wave after wave of baddies in variations. Combat is king, hell MOVEMENT IS KING.

3rd-person PvE adventure play. Mission-based with only one open world section. Maps are randomly generated from a set list of parts so there is at least some replay variety. Strikes & Horde modes, no Destiny-like Raiding. PvP is largely secondary.

Warframe's artwork is incredible. Absolutely looks otherworldly & celestial.

I didn't give this game a second look when it was first release but now? This game is p o l i s h e d -- you might not like the action but the visuals are sumptuous. I'm looking forward to diving deep.
    Last edited by novicius; November 20th, 2017 at 06:23 AM.

Looks good, but...
    It's this online only?

Yep online only.

Warframe: Plains of Eidolon review.

Last edited by novicius; November 17th, 2017 at 07:40 AM.

34 minutes!!!!!
    Is there a TLDR version?

I liked it a year+ ago. I should jump back into it. Especially with the new stuff. Let me know if you're online.

The melee system is nice when the bad guys get close. Much better than any other FPS.

I briefly tried this a while ago. It did not interest me at the time. I downloaded it again to give it a second chance but have not booted it up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    ...I downloaded it again ...
    again? If you had it before why would you need to download it again? What did you do to it the first time around?

Kid, I tried to summarize the vid in my description.

One of the main grinds is for Platinum. This is what you can use to buy different armies, etc. I googled for a write-up on farming Platinum and found this.

It's advanced but will be good info later.

::

In other news, I used to think playing a Hunter was too fast and frantic! This shit gets you movin' twice as fast!

55 hours in and I'm only just leaving the intro story missions. Unlocked my 2nd planet as well as have a 2nd Warframe and am "researching" a 3rd.

You can get a feel from playing with the action for a few minutes (maybe) but that's not playing the game. Much like Destiny, it's tough to quantify the game with just a few minutes gameplay. "The Game" doesn't start for D1/D2 until you're Level 20 and in Warframe it's more like the game doesn't start until you've collected enough Mods to start working with, Mastery Rank 1, and have collected enough materials to start crafting (hell, and unlocked both the Foundry and the Mods workshop) at around 30-40 hours in.

The melee action is very much like a fighting game: twitch-fast and button-mash-y. Can be a little tough to time your kill-shots with the proper number of button taps (if you want to be cool about it). Otherwise your character will sit there swinging through the air for a second or two like a crazed axe-murderer after you've killed a baddie. Most hatchet-wielding baddies are pretty dull to try and 'slash-block-riposte', but I did come across one AI duel so far that was engaging so the capacity is there. Just don't know how frequent it is.

But the 3rd-person gunplay is reminiscent of Mass Effect in some ways: over the shoulder zoom but somehow with a strange bullet-time effect when jumping/dodging + aiming. I don't know how it works in multiplayer -- can't be slowing down the action for you while someone else is fighting normally. Maybe it's just happening in my head with the focused zoom? Seems slower tho'.

Movement is King: you can kill whatever you want but if you are playing with others via Matchmaking, you will see other players just absolutely launching themselves down corridors past your slow-running ass.

So yeah, I'm barely into the game but I'm diggin' it so far. A lot of killer visuals and interesting concepts in the scenery, locales, and overall art design.
    Last edited by novicius; November 20th, 2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    34 minutes!!!!! Is there a TLDR version?
    The TLDR version.

too true. I'm only at day 22... but still.

Now I see why you like it. Soooo many toon outfits. I like you how you only need one toon and can change outfits/moves though. Instead of having to play the story 3 (what are you on 9?) times.

I'd be willing to buy some space bucks in a game like this. The devs deserve to get paid for all this hard work.

They should have named it Destiny Warriors.

Destiny + Dynasty Warriors.