Page 37 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

Junior Potato
    JV is the only mad cunt who I can recall that had a near-suicidal desire to see a car go flat-out up Eau Rouge without lifting off the pedal.

He broke a few of them in the process. Spectacularly.

Mad respect.

I have no problem admitting when I was wrong... and boy was I wrong about ESPN. It was just announced that Mother's will be the presenting sponsor for the remainder of the season and all the races will be commercial free from here on out. Wow. Shocked and amazed. I will not be trying the streaming service, whenever that launches, after all.

Junior Potato
    That’s awesome!

I’d be sending emails saying thanks and buying their products.

Indeed, I was thinking about firing up the old twitter account for the first time in forever to thank ESPN and Mothers and let them know I'll be using their products.

Basically I'd also agree with everything Blerpa wrote. Couple of things I'll add based on some stuff I've seen pop up in other forums

- I agree we all agree that it's terrible that a member of the pitcrew got hurt but we don't need to turn the sport upside down every time someone gets hurt. F1 is dangerous, lots of jobs are fwiw, but the danger will never go. The stuff on autosport where a group of people are wailing and demanding the FIA does something and mandates things like minimum pitstop times shows how little some people watching have even a basic understanding of what the sport actually is.

- I may have said it here before, I have elsewhere, but I think Lewis is the James Hunt of the current generation (just quite a bit more talented). The biggest problem a large group of people have with him, while at the same time idolising James Hunt, is that this time they're the grumpy old man complaining about the youngfolk having fun.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Agree with you on both points. On the subject of Francesco Cigarini, It's a shame but it is important to note that it was a bit of a freak accident because it resulted from dropping the car to try and get leverage to get the nut off, not a threading issue like with the Haas. The problem here is that that happens because the fastening system is designed for efficient ingress and egress. I have no idea how that could be made safer.

About Hamilton, yes, he's probably the most gifted. driver. ever. He's also one of the hardest working too. As for his partying, I could care less, as a fan I appreciate more a personality like Vettel's or Rubens' but that's because I'm a nerd like them.

It's Alonso I can't stand.
    acket.

Junior Potato
    I don't mind the young’uns having fun, as long as they’re not complete wankers while they do it

Interesting, I kinda feel like Kimi is more Hunt-esque.

But I wasn't alive when he was around. So...

Administrator
    On the broadcast, I think I remember them saying that the red/green light system in the pits is automated, basically just can tell if the car is on the ground and if the wheel nuts are on securely, but that there's a person involved that can override the green light in exactly this sort of case. I'd argue that the appropriate safety change here is that instead of having a human there to prevent the green, a human has to intervene to allow the green. Whoever that person is has to hit a button when they see all four wheels come off to arm the green light, then it can turn on automatically when the car is dropped. Whitelist vs. blacklist - if that human doesn't verify that the pit stop has gone according to procedure, the green light won't come on.

See, that's what makes more sense. I'd bet there are magnets or pressure sensors on the ground that do the reading.