Page 9 of 139 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    It looks like the people at Haas are fans of Showtime's Dexter... surprise car launch!
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    ESPN will provide Sky's coverage instead of their own. Sky's team will also provide exclusive content for ESPN/ABC's platforms.

It was ESPN who asked for the 10 minute delay of the start time.

They have been so accommodating because Liberty brought over a bunch of ex-ESPN staff.
    For channels and stations that don't have extensive build up shows it makes sense because they can start the show on the hour and then within ten minutes the race starts.

and that's just the way I'd like it to be honestly. Pre-race shows do nothing for me but I fear for the fans that record the races as I do. I have no problem setting the dvr to record 2 or 3 hours over scheduled end time (and do often for live events) but the thought of ESPN pulling a last minute channel swap because of another 'game' running long etc. is my worry. But then I don't really know what to expect as the only thing I've watched on ESPN in the last 5 years is the DRL. Yes I like drone racing.

Regarding the new Haas, very clever of them to use the black backdrop and low lights to hide the halo & sail. A comment I'm stealing from another site summed it up perfectly in my mind by using a Seinfeld quote... from Morty Seinfeld, "Dim lighting and cheap fabric that's how you move merchandise."

I loved the grid walks with Buxton, but always skipped everything else, unless there was some drama going on with one of the cars or something.

But I was always annoyed when as soon as the program started the lights were going out. Not enough time to explain if there were penalties or mechanical issues overnight. 10 minutes is good.

It also basically confirms ESPN won'e be doing any pre-race other than that (at least for most races).
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; February 15th, 2018 at 07:34 AM.

I came across a somewhat conspiratorial observation today. In 2011, McLaren started making road cars. That year they won six F1 races, then seven F1 races the following year. Since then they have only 2 podium finishes, both in the same race in 2014.

Strange coincidence

Coincidence? I think that explains some of the power struggles between Ron and the other board members that went on until late '16 when that marketing guy took his place as CEO.
    acket.

I was leaning more towards F1 throwing some advantage McLaren's way so they could point to on track success while marketing the road going MP4-12C to a bunch of rick folk.

Be advised, it's from reddit.

2012 GP, not the inaugural race. Also the situation was a bit more complicated. The stakes were high. On a number of levels. Mclaren's strategic partnerships- trade, ownership and sponsorship (Vodafone)- were finely balanced on its decision to race in Bahrain. F1's reputation hanged in the balance. Jean Todt's and Ecclestone's position of power going forward was centered on the race going ahead; they'd nailed their colours to the mast having accepted Bahraini influence and money, respectively, in their respective organisations. Were the race to have been cancelled, following its cancellation the year before, it would've been banned from the calendar for a set number of years per FIA rules. Dennis reportedly sought not only for the racing team to miss the race but to push for its cancellation. He was in effect calling a no confidence in Mclaren's ongoing relationship with Bahrain; he was angling to sever the Bahraini's influence and, ultimately, ownership of the organisation.

The vote was important, then; it was not a vain quibble. A decision by Mclaren not to race presented potential for other teams to decide in turn not to race; and would have publicly called into question the FIA and FOM decision to race, regardless. There being a very real possibility of such a scenario- where the race would most certainly have been cancelled- would have been a pr disaster for the ruling Bahraini regime; it used F1 to present the kingdom as a place of business and not as the place of brutal repression, civil unrest and human rights abuses that it was/is.

So over at Mclaren in the immediate weeks prior to the scheduled race (about two and a half), a board meeting comprised of the shareholders- Dennis, Ojjeh and Mumtalakat (the investment arm of the kingdom, run by members of the royal family)- was held. Throughout their time at Mclaren, Ojjeh worked to an agreement that he'd vote in lockstep with Dennis; Dennis in effect making the major decisions and determining the company's projectory. It stemmed from since the Mercedes' part ownership of the company; it was to preserve their will over the company. Dennis and Ojjeh would occasionally alternate chairing the meeting; the former normally holding the position. This time Dennis was away on business, Ojjeh represented both men and instead of carrying Dennis' vote forward, he vetoed him.

This was unprecedented; the pact had never been broken before. Voting to overrule Dennis sidelined him and stepped away from Dennis' way of running the organisation. It set about his downfall (given that Dennis' decision conflicted with the majority shareholders, the Bahraini investment company run by the royal family...); it effectively nullified him lest he either audaciously enact a hostile takeover of the companies, buy back in to a majority shareholding or brush Ojjeh aside- all of which he was unable to do. A lot of company policy and direction went against Dennis' philosophy thereafter. This explains Dennis' sudden sacking of Whitmarsh- an Ojjeh ally- during Ojjeh's lung transplant; his attempt at buying out Ojjeh whilst the latter was in ill health; and his in turn being forced out by the Bahrainis and Ojjeh, lest he buy them out within a set time frame.
    If you've watched Amazon's Grand Prix Driver, it's evident the company is no longer run in The Ron Way.
    acket.

The Amazon series is what started the discussion that prompted the observation I brought here, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Be advised, it's from reddit.

If you've watched Amazon's Grand Prix Driver, it's evident the company is no longer run in The Ron Way.
    Then there was the time when Ron tried to oust Ojjeh from the board while he was laid up in hospital after a double lung transplant for a pre-existing condition. And then the rumour is that Ojjeh slept with Ron's wife at some point after Bahrain. Ojjeh's 'man' Whitmarsh was then ousted by Ron which pissed off Ojjeh even more.