Page 1 of 139 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar

Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

F1SLG.jpg

Code:
    Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport
    HAM (44) & BOT (77)

Scuderia Ferrari 
    VET (5) & RAI (7)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing
    RIC (3) & VER (33)

Sahara Force India F1 Team 
    PER (11) & OCO (31)

Williams Martini Racing
    STR (18) & SIR (??)

Renault Sport Formula One Team
    HUL (27) & SAI (55)

Scuderia Toro Rosso
    GAS (10) & HAR (28)

Haas F1 Team
    GRO (8) & MAG (20)

McLaren Formula 1 Team
    ALO (14) & VAN (2)

Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team
    ERI (9) & LEC (16)
    I don't think that Ferrari will debut without a title sponsor.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; January 29th, 2018 at 06:16 PM.
    acket.

Administrator
    If history is any judge, Massa will be back at Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    If history is any judge, Massa will be back at Williams.
    It seems that Williams were all set to announce their driver lineup after the tyre test at Abu Dhabi. Then Robert Kubica decidedly DIDN'T set the track alight with his times, being generally slower than both Massa in the race and Sirotkin in the test when tyre type and run timings are taken into account.

Which leaves Williams in quite the dilemma. Kvyat is still in with a slight chance, it's thought Wehrlein has more or less been dropped by Mercedes with little to no corporate incentive/benefit to sign him for any team and PDR still has a small chance as well and fits with the 'over 25' Martini sponsorship requirement but it's thought this is now an outside chance.

Did you typo the title on purpose? Either way can we change it? Spending a year with it is going to needle at me.

Ask Russ. Title's locked for me.
    acket.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Force India is supposed to change their name next season, they just haven't decided what it will be.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    It seems that Williams were all set to announce their driver lineup after the tyre test at Abu Dhabi. Then Robert Kubica decidedly DIDN'T set the track alight with his times, being generally slower than both Massa in the race and Sirotkin in the test when tyre type and run timings are taken into account.

Which leaves Williams in quite the dilemma. Kvyat is still in with a slight chance, it's thought Wehrlein has more or less been dropped by Mercedes with little to no corporate incentive/benefit to sign him for any team and PDR still has a small chance as well and fits with the 'over 25' Martini sponsorship requirement but it's thought this is now an outside chance.
    Indeed. Having let Massa go, they're now left with a choice of drivers, all of whom appear to be slower than Felipe. Oops.

What makes it so tricky is that they're saddled with pay-driver Stroll in the other car, who is neither quick nor reliable nor experienced nor old enough for their title sponsor. So they need to attract a lead driver who is all of these things to make up for it, without that much to offer in terms of cash or championship-winning chances.

If it was my choice I'd go with Kubica and Kvyatt.

There's no point in taking Sirotkin or Wehrlein.

Kubica might not be the fastest now, but he could reach a better performance level than Stroll, and consistently stay within it. Also, the attention he brings should net Williams a grace period of at least the first 4 flyaway races.
    Kvyatt I'd sign as reserve driver and send him to Super Formula or elsewhere where they have multiple races in a weekend. He needs to regain his raw pace. And I think we all agree it's mostly a psyche issue with him, the Torpedo has proven his fast but he totally lost his one lap pace and needs to work in his racecraft. His racepace stayed on, me thinks.

PdR is solid and experienced, but both Kubica and Kvyatt are experienced and have a higher performance ceiling.
    acket.

Administrator
    Massa's totally coming back and he's going to end up being like KISS with multiple farewell tours.

Kvyatt is the only driver experienced and cheap enough, yet with higher future potential than Massa.

I'm still a bit concerned with Kubica's physical limitations..., I just don't see him outperforming Massa. His very own admission that he's 90% as before the accident in an F-1 car is not easing any minds. Why hire a lead driver with 10% deficit to begin with? He wasn't 10% better than other F-1 drivers before! Not even Senna or Hamilton are 10% better than rest...

Massa is a safe bet, but if Williams wants a break thru performance, it's time to find somebody new.