Page 43 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

I agree, if we strictly go by rule interpretation... the 2nd move put max more at fault.

However, Ricciardo is also coming up way too hot...

It would've been more cut and dry if max weaved back to the side of Dan and shut the door without leaving any room...

As it is, you can't really say Ricciardo is completely blameless... even if max never made that 2nd direction change and just kept going straight, there wouldn't be enough space for Dan to safely carry out the pass without hitting Max's rear wheel.

Anyway, I didn't watch the whole race, just the highlights and replays..., I still can't figure out where dan went wrong in the pits to lose his position to max again... I'm sure his frustration caused him to make a poor judgement to attempt such risky pass.

If it was so clear cut then the Stewart’s would have penalized him. I actually think they both really enjoyed the close racing...right up until the crash.

My boneheaded move of the day goes to Grosjean though. It’s nearly impossible to be more stupid than him. If anyone needed to apologize to his team it’s him.

Also they kept talking about Rics contract being up. Do any of you experts have any possible scenarios for him moving to a better team? Who would get the axe to make way for him?

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Yay, Brendan got the first F1 point for New Zealand in 42 years.

Did the stewards do nothing because it was an intra-team battle or they actually considered it a racing incident? Because trying to pass someone after getting a tow seems like pretty standard racing.
    I like how Max said it was a learning experience when he punted Vettel last race. At least that was aggressive/optimistic racing, this was an illegal block.

Another great race. to Red Bull for continuing to let their drivers race.

Junior Potato
    Billi it sounds like you’ve never seen any motorsport before. You said Ricciardo was “coming up way too fast.” Dude, that’s how you race. Ricciardo was passing Verstappen. I don’t know how you get these ideas in your head.

I will say that when Max moved to the right, the point at which his car was the furthest right Ric would have still crashed into him. There was no room either way.

Those guys don’t seem like enemies. I bet they were grinning ear to ear the whole time right up until Rics car got sucked right in and locked up. The thrill of a good race right til the end.

Wow.

Like I said that it appeared to be an illegal block due to the direction change, but in reality there just isn't enough room for Dan to complete the pass even if max didn't make the 2nd direction change.

I don't dunno, maybe we need a genuine non-fanboy to give a more unbiased analysis...

Looks like both share some blame. Daniel's move was pretty optimistic even for him. The door was barely open for a fraction of a second and he fully committed. Max moved back to the left. It was inevitable at that point.

My guess is Daniel normally wouldn't have attempted that move. I think a combination of things contributed to him doing that. He was probably feeling pretty invincible after China and all the positive press he got from his overtakes, he spent the whole race being stuck behind a slower Max and not being able to get by, and when he finally did get past it all got undone at the pit stops. Daniel likely wanted to pounce while Max was warming up his tires, not knowing why Max was slower in the first stint (maybe it was the set of red-striped tires he had on). All that I think contributed to a move of desperation and Max was defending heavily.

I don't know which pass was better - Max's on Daniel at the beginning of the race, or Daniel's on Max before their pit stops. Both were exceptional, right on the limit.

RedBull need to re-create this photo:

http://www.formula1blog.com/wp-conte...hrug-C-588.jpg

Ask me about my bottom br
    Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    Did the stewards do nothing because it was an intra-team battle or they actually considered it a racing incident? Because trying to pass someone after getting a tow seems like pretty standard racing.
    Apparently they did nothing because Horner asked Charlie not to penalize Verstappen them.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; April 30th, 2018 at 11:17 AM.
    acket.