Page 27 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    I just checked, apparently WTCR had been downgraded to World Cup.

Manufacturer involvement has kind of killed WEC LMP1, while at the same time WEC GTE is growing with direct factory involvement. There are however no privateers at all in the pro category, leaving it strictly a factory show.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_W...ouring_Car_Cup

"With titles for drivers and teams only the new series will receive "World Cup" rather than "World Championship" status. Manufacturers will be able to develop cars for competition that are then sold to privateer entrants and will also be allowed to provide ongoing support and development to those teams.[2]
    The WTCR series will be capped at 26 entries with up to two wildcards nominated by the organizers at each race weekend. The entry cap will be in place for all races except for the Nurburgring Nordschleife. All Teams will have to enter a minimum two cars with an entry fee of 150,000 Euro.[39]
    The tires will be supplied by Yokohama and the fuel by Panta."

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    FIA GT1 only ever awarded to teams and drivers, and still held World Championship status, so someone is not quite right.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    this is a layman's question, but wouldn't the manufacturers not being involved in F1 cause them to no longer share innovations that eventually reach the road cars? I mean we have paddle shifting, better traction control, and KERS types of systems that get their roots from F1 developments.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    IP is IP and it will get to the market.
    acket.

Original Honda NSX built post Honda's world championship wins, though it's not even using the same F-1 winning turbo formula, still ended up with rave reviews.

2nd generation NSX uses the current F-1 engine formula..., but with its F-1 car running either with smoke or near the back of the pack, just isn't very convincing.

IP isn't that easily transferable.

NSX using the Mercedes "badge" would probably sell more!

Ferrari is the established benchmark. I'd much rather prefer other manufacturers or rich guys joining F-1 to see if they can beat that benchmark until they run out of money.

F-1 without Ferrari would be like Indycars without Indy500. Without any manufacturers, particularly without Ferrari, I'm not sure if I'd even follow F-1 anymore. Just like I stopped following CART and IRL when they split up.

I just hope the participants will learn to work together instead of breaking up.

Junior Potato
    The main advancements that come from motorsports and end up in road vehicles are fuel savings, tyres, and safety.

I’d say the single best one would be radial tyres, as they significantly improved all three.

Also, manufacturer teams =/= manufacturer suppliers.

Honda was just an engine supplier when they built the NSX. Mercedes didn't have a team in F1 for more than 50 years, but was one of the most successful engine suppliers in F1 for a couple decades. Renault ditto, with a shorter time out as a full team.

I can't think of a successful engine maker that wasn't a major manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    The main advancements that come from motorsports and end up in road vehicles are fuel savings, tyres, and safety.

I’d say the single best one would be radial tyres, as they significantly improved all three.
    Totally agree.

Now, today's f1 tires seems to be as high profile as tracker tires.

Also I'm looking forward to introduction of halos on road cars...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 2nd, 2018 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Also, manufacturer teams =/= manufacturer suppliers.

Honda was just an engine supplier when they built the NSX. Mercedes didn't have a team in F1 for more than 50 years, but was one of the most successful engine suppliers in F1 for a couple decades. Renault ditto, with a shorter time out as a full team.

I can't think of a successful engine maker that wasn't a major manufacturer.
    Cosworth, Tag and Repco.