Page 62 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Didn't McLaren have packaging issues with the Honda at first?

No one has higher packaging demands than Red Bull. I suppose they know from Torro Rosso if they can make it work, but I expect a lot of overheating, and/or Red Bull to lose a bit of their famous chassis/aero advantage.
    I'm going from memory here and may be incorrect on some of the actual technical details. Any errors are mine and due to hazy memory.

From what I read McLaren were insistent on as small an engine as possible, the so called 'size zero' engine demand which prompted the layout that Honda ran with for the first two years with Turbo and MGU-H in the V of the ICE. This caused packaging problems and prevented major changes to the size of the MGU-H which, according to the regulations, could supply an unlimited amount of power back into the engine, something Mercedes managed to great effect. Eventually, after two years of wailing and gnashing of teeth McLaren relented and allowed a larger engine and to design the car around this for the start of 2017. This then facilitated an almost complete change in layout, matching Mercedes and Ferrari in splitting the Turbocharger and Compressor with a shaft running up the middle of the V linking the two with a much larger MGU-H at the compressor end taking power from, and able to supply power to, the shaft connecting the turbocharger and compressor as opposed to a standard road car turbocharger and compressor arrangement where the shaft is measured in centimetres as they're often part of the same housing.

This is a good article on it all: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...oncept-864854/

Anyway, where McLaren f*cked up is believing what was essentially a brand new engine for the 2017 season would be reliable and powerful. It was basically at the start of it's development cycle whereas Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault had anything from 3 to 5 years of development time to ascertain the optimal setup, fine tune it and make it powerful and reliable. All without being publically criticised by Eric 'Teflon' Boullier and an angry Spaniard on international TV every two weeks.

Honda came in a year earlier than planned, were handicapped by McLaren's demands and the ridiculous and ill-thought out 'Token' system limiting upgrades throughout the 2015 season meant Honda were permanently on the back foot until at least the arse end of 2016. McLaren expected too much, and now, I suspect, they'll watch the Red Bull AND the Toro Rosso beat them with the engine they used to have. And be £100m down a season for the privilege.
    I was a huge McLaren fan, still am to a certain extent, but their demise has pained me greatly recently. They need fundamental change, a full root and branch cull and re-energisation from new staff, but I can't see it happening while the board and owners are too pally and cushy with those on charge of the racing team.
    Last edited by Alan P; June 22nd, 2018 at 05:17 PM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Great summary Alan.
    acket.

Mclarens demands were made by Ron Dennis at the time, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Mclarens demands were made by Ron Dennis at the time, right?
    I'm not sure Ron would have that amount of technical control, but no doubt took advice from technical staff about what they wanted.

My point is that mclarens fall began prior to Ron's departure.

Wonder if that's because Dennis was already losing more and more political control or because Ron's just not as technically competent anymore which resulted in his firing? My guess is former? So Rons return could save the company?

Junior Potato
    Ron Dennis was a perfectionist. Almost like the Rain Man of team owners. That has to be taken into account when talking about the McLaren of old. Well, not old old, but from the 80s-onwards old, when they won most of the championships before Ferrari suddenly woke up.

The new ownership seem like money men compared to the exacting sportsman that Dennis was. They have some team ownership nous, as evinced by the fact that it’s still operating and hasn’t disappeared up its own arse hole, but they’re definitely missing something from Dennis’ very specific, very hands-on role as McLaren’s former sporting director.

Praying for rain tomorrow or it’s going to be another Mercedes walk off snooze fest.

Although the Ferrari/RB fight might be pretty fun...hoping.

Praying for rain.
    acket.

I know why I find Zak Brown so annoying, He looks just like Martin Prince!

Last edited by FaultyMario; June 24th, 2018 at 06:34 AM.
    acket.