Page 38 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

doesn't explain why the Haas' got the greenlights
    Does anyone still use the lollipop system?

That'll put tremendous pressure on one 'lollipop' person though... with so many pit crew and so many things going on, not sure if it's a one person job. They really should just minimize # of pit crews out there... that'll help make that the lollipop persons job easier if they go back to that...

Anyway, my take on Hamilton is that he's the James hunt + ayrton senna!
    Too bad his lauds+Prost nemesis has been stuck in a slower car most of the time...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    doesn't explain why the Haas' got the greenlights
    Does anyone still use the lollipop system?
    I'm assuming each team has their own system. As is, I remember Ferrari going to the lights vs. a lollipop man long before other teams did.

I'm guessing they have sensors that detect whether the nut is back on or not. If all 4 nuts are on, cross threaded or not, green light.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    That'll put tremendous pressure on one 'lollipop' person though... with so many pit crew and so many things going on, not sure if it's a one person job.
    There already is tremendous pressure. The big difference between those two systems is that a mistake on one might result in longer pitstops, while the other one results in multiple leg fractures.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    About Hamilton, yes, he's probably the most gifted. driver. ever.
    Can't believe this blasphemy went completely unchecked.

To take an analogy from American Football, Hamilton is a system quarterback. Any proficient F1 driver can drive that car to a championship (see: Button). Take him off script and out of his comfort zone and he becomes mentally unstable; look at the last race, literally panicking when the radio was malfunctioning and he didn't have a team of engineers to tell him how to drive.

Good? Yes. Gifted...best driver ever? Yeah, no. If you put Hamilton against the 'field' of all F1 drivers in history he's not number one, no way.

I just think F1 pits are way too chaotic right now. Lollipop man's job is also almost like no-win situation. Slight mistake of being too early will cause somebody to get hurt... and if you play it too safe, you'll cost race positions.

If anything, I think an automated light system still should be superior than lollipop man. I'm beginning to think perhaps Ferrari's setup missed something... which also cause Haas to screw up in a similar fashion. Maybe both human and automated system need to be in place just to be safer...

Another simple fix is to make sure that you don't stand in front of the car/tire at all. That broken leg could've been avoided if that tire changer switched position and stood behind the car.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post

Good? Yes. Gifted...best driver ever? Yeah, no. If you put Hamilton against the 'field' of all F1 drivers in history he's not number one, no way.
    I've long held that he is the best at feeling a car, if a bit conformable at putting in the hardwork. For that you'd have Rosberg, who became WC almost purely on busting his ass.

He's a very complete driver, you can see bits of Hakkinen in his one lap pace and a lot of Senna in his BS PR stunts.

Edit: I said "most gifted driver ever" meaning he came to F1 with the most raw talent.
    acket.

I don't know, you can put JV in that "he came to F1 with the most raw talent" boat, Max as well.
    I've grown to respect Hamilton a lot these last few years, but he hasn't been Senna/Schumi when he was given a good but not great car. I'd argue Vettel and Alonso are as good as Hamilton .

Alonso is definitely one of the greats. I was willing to give Vettel the same title as well until Ricciardo beat the crap out of him. I really like to see the 2 of them match up again to see exactly who's really better. Was that just because Vettel was off his game or not? So to me, Vettel is only questionably great at this point.

Rosberg is good, at least good enough to beat Schumacher, who's probably a bit off his prime though.

I think it's pretty clear, as teammates, the championships were always Hamilton's to lose. Clearly Hamilton is better than Rosberg.

Also as a rookie, Hamilton sure showed Alonso.

I personally have little doubt Hamilton could beat Senna on the track if God would allow such race to happen. However, since God has predestined Senna to be #1 at his time, God naturally had to delay the birth of Hamilton...

BTW, as a fanboi, Max is currently probably the only one who has the potential to be one of the greats. Hope he won't continue to mess up or prematurely kill himself... Ricciardo is really tough for me to classify too. Clearly he is way better than just good, but still not so sure how great he really is. Beating the crap out of Vettel was really impressive though. He also has shown to be way more consistent than Max. Still, not sure why I'm not a huge fan of him. Maybe it's because he forced Capt. Picard to drink off of his stinky show one time...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 12th, 2018 at 12:16 PM.