Page 40 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

Actually... https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-crash-apology

Spoiler:
    Formula 1 world championship leader Sebastian Vettel says he appreciated Max Verstappen's handling of their Chinese Grand Prix collision and the Red Bull driver's prompt apology.

Vettel, winner of the first two grands prix of the 2018 F1 season, was tapped into a spin by Verstappen 13 laps from the end of the Shanghai race as the Red Bull caught his third-placed Ferrari having taken on fresh tyres during a safety car period.
    Verstappen accepted full responsibility for the incident and approached Vettel to discuss it immediately after the race finished.
    "He came up straight after. He realised that he did a mistake," said Vettel.

"I said to him 'look, the races are long and you threw your podium away'. He was lucky to continue, I was lucky to continue, but it was not necessary.
    "I think he got it. He was quite composed and realised that he messed up.

"People were asking if it was a question of age, but it's not. He's done so many races.
    "We had a bit of tailwind the whole race and after 41 laps you know that it's tricky to stop the car there. But it happens.

"I appreciate the fact that he came to me straight away.
    "I told him that was the way to solve it, face to face and not through the media or blowing something up."

Vettel, who had led the first part of the race before being jumped by Valtteri Bottas in the initial pitstops, underlined that he would have let Verstappen past without a fight given their respective tyre situations. Verstappen's team-mate Daniel Ricciardo used the same strategy to charge from sixth to victory in the final part of the race.

"It was clear that the Red Bulls were faster," said Vettel. "The way Daniel approached from behind there was no point to resist much and the same with Max.
    "I think he had a bad exit onto the big straight, otherwise I was just ready to let him go.
    "He wasn't there, so then you stay in front.
    "I gave a bit of room just in case he had a tiny lock-up and then obviously he had a big lock-up... That's when we crashed."

Vettel resumed in sixth after the clash but struggled with a damaged car for the rest of the race and fell to eighth behind Nico Hulkenberg's Renault and Fernando Alonso's McLaren.
    "I think in a way I'm lucky that I got to the end of it," Vettel added. "After a collision like that we might've stopped there.
    "The lucky thing was the car was still working. Obviously the floor was damaged and the balance was gone.

"The car wasn't the same after that. It had a lot of understeer."

Verstappen was given a 10-second time penalty for the collision, demoting him from fourth to fifth in the results.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    They need to close pit lane in the lap the SC is deployed.
    acket.

And also, Hartley and Perez were obviously given 30 seconds penalties after their formation lap mixup in Bahrain. For sure, that puts today's penalties into perspective, of course.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    They need to close pit lane in the lap the SC is deployed.
    Yeah, unless it's an emergency, pit should remain closed until the next lap to minimize some lucky racers gaining unfairly.

Anyway, Max obviously threw away a race win. Hope he learns. If not, he'll be another Kvyat, if yes, then surely another Vettel.

I am kinda glad Vettel got screwed a bit, of all the great F1 drivers Vettel somehow is my least favorite..., not sure why...

Glad Ricciardo won and glad the points standing remain tight thus far. It should be a fun season!

Great race.

I need to say nothing about max, as it has already been said. My opinion on him has only been reinforced.

I'm sad for Vettel, because he got shafted hard and I never like to see that happen to a driver. It was a very similar contact as what Ricciardo had happen by Max at spa last year. Just much slower and didn't eliminate a car from the race.

Super happy Kimi got a podium finally. He just gets bad break after bad break.

Excited for the next race.

Either Bottas was too nice or was given good info (Ricciardo was way faster and he should focus on Kimi with fresher tires)
    Not a fan of Vettel chopping his teammate at the start and having Kimi go way too long on the softs. This is wreaking of Schumi/twobens with Ferrari very heavily favoring one driver (except the constructors is genuinely at risk here).
    What happened to Mercedes? They looked like they were going to dominate for another year after Australia's qualifying. I honestly thought they might have been sandbagging a bit since then for the sake of the sport.

I hope they don't close the pits, other than the Bottas undercut there was hardly any action for half the race (after the first lap).
    Overall it ended up being a great race and the rest of the season continues to look promising

I don't think Vettel knew Kimi was that close to him. Kimi usually has mediocre starts, and this time it was damn near perfect for him.

I could be wrong though.

Mercedes hasn't figured out the new tires.

Their suspension trickery is not as good as red bull's, which gives them a larger operating window. That's why rbs are faster on fresher rubber. Whereas Mercedes are always reminding their drivers of the Delta, they know that they have to nurse their tires.
    acket.

Hamilton is just off his game I think.

In Bahrain he was penalized... so I can understand why Bottas was the leading driver, but last weekend in China, Hamilton was still lagging behind Bottas.

I think Hamilton is just suffering opposite of what Max has. Max tried too hard, Hamilton has somehow lost his motivation.

Mercedes has had for a while issues with tires. They've never been on top of them as well as Ferrari or Red Bull. I think in the past, they just had so many other advantages they could mask it when conditions weren't ideal. They must have the narrowist of windows for tires of the top teams. And now you have two races with pretty extreme temps, and Mercedes is on the back foot.

Ferrari seems to have a superior PU this year.